1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot Fit - advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Yamaha Fan, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Vintage racer here, need to pick up a new set of boots. I have been wearing a set of Sidi over the years but they are long worn out. 11/45, issue is I have Mortons Naroma so width is very important. I had surgery on my left foot and it is pretty normal, right foot is good unless I try and wear a normal width shoe.

Originally the Sidi's were a bit tight but they opened up after 6 months or so. I like the idea of great protection but also want good feel of the shifter - brake. Revzilla has the Puma V3 1000 on close out at a good price anyone have any experience with it as far a width / feel ? Alpinstar's that I have tried on are all narrow.

Thanks for any recommendations / help

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I had a set of Pumas, well because they were an inexpensive purchase. I could not stand wearing them after 1 day and it was a struggle to keep them on that day. The boot itself is robust though.

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I have had good luck with Gaerne boots for width, at least in dirt bike and street/touring boots. I haven't owned any Gaerne road race boots, but I know that Sidi and Alpinestars are too narrow for my boxy foot shape. The Gaerne just seem to fit, and I will likely get a pair of them for racing when I finally wear out my Sidi boots.

4. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I have wide feet myself and have had good luck with TCX / Oxtar boots

5. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Stay away from Dainese. Very narrow boot.

6. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Have you tried a metatarsal pad/bar? I have the same issue and seem to have it under control in my Sidi's (which are definitely narrow) with that.

7. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Try on a set of Alpinestars Supertech R's. I have fairly wide foot and they are one of the only boots that fit me comfortably.

8. tack514

tack514 Well-Known Member

I have a similar issue with my right foot. Multiple surgeries. I second what TJ says, the SuperTech R's are great. They are wider and just plain more comfortable. I had sidi's before and they are more narrow. I have no history with the pumas. Hope this info helps. Feet hurting at the track is no bueno.

9. Yamaha Fan

The BBS comes through, I thank ALL of you for the advise.. looking at the recommendations now.

10. Yamaha Fan

Surgery fixed my left foot, right is well under control as long as I DON'T wear a tight shoe / boot. I have learned not to aggravate the condition and as a result don't have issues. Thanks for the advice, if it flairs up I will try the bad/bar.

t11ravis likes this.
  11. Yamaha Fan

They are like Italian men's shoes, can anyone wear 11.5 shoes that narrow???

Bruce likes this.
  12. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

I have wide, flat size 11 feet. I've tried on a lot of different boots, including the Puma's at the Revzilla store in Philadelphia. The Pumas were not comfortable at all, way too narrow. I ended up buying Supertech R's for racing, but the SMX line is very comfortable as well. I had a pair of SMX5s that I wore on the street for a couple years, including a crash on a dual sport, they held up well but aren't going to have the same level of protection as the Supertechs.

13. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

What he said.

I have very narrow feet and have to double up on socks with my Supertech R's.

14. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

The pumas are super narrow and I agree with the supertech recommendations as I have wide feet and have no problem with them.

15. AFC

AFC Well-Known Member

Nothing with better protection or feel (seems contradictory) than Daytona's. Have had top line sidi & alpinestars - Daytona's are much better but they cost much more too though last longer too. Wider fit & replaceable outer.

Helimot in Fremont, CA can answer any questions - 510 252 1509
    (little mom & pop store - great service)

16. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I loved my Pumas. Never felt safer in any other boots. Too bad they stopped making them.

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. phelan77

phelan77 Well-Known Member

I swear by Daytona race boots. The width is medium and since i have wide feet i had to go one size up

18. compmoto

compmoto Team Geno

Seeking input on current boot offerings on the market:
    hey there folks, I used the search feature, and this is the best thread that came up... so I'm reviving it for my own use.
    I need to buy boots asap, and have tootsie issues. I need to fit my left dog with a WIDE size 10, but usually can never purchase a pair of any type smaller than 9.5...
    My last pair was a "too narrow" sz 44 pair of SMXs, may they Rest in Pieces ...
    What suggestions may any of you offer on my next boot purchase, not to exceed $700. ?
    I am also in need of a new pair of track gloves. I'm looking at medium Ikons short type, but still have yet to pull the trigger.
    Thanks in advance.

19. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I'm still sticking with Gaerne for width. Try them all on at a local shop and see what works best?

compmoto likes this.
  20. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

My gripe with the Supertech R’s are the non stainless lace grommets in the booty. The grommets rust right away which chafes the laces and then they break. Alpinestars sent me new laces after they broke at about a month old, but the laces continue to fray and break every other ride. Sucks from a $500 boot. For Supertech R everyone says to order one size smaller than normal.

compmoto and meowculpa like this.