1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

07 cbr600rr running like sh*t

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Focker, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Saga continues...

Took it to the mechanic/dyno tuner.

Disconnected the bazzaz. With just the HRC ecu hooked up, it will idle, but pops and coughs and won't rev past 5000rpm.

Stock ecu it starts, idles and revs up, but put it on the dyno under load and it runs like crap and makes 80hp.

I put in a good used harness which is totally stock except for shorted side stand switch and shorted bank angle sensor.

Tps measures in spec.

Fuel injectors cleaned and balanced. Pump exceeds minimum flow rate and produces 50psi.

Plugs are new.

I have another airbox and tb set coming from ebay.

I have a spare cam sensor that i havent tried

I was going to get a spare crank position sensor but honda canada has a 2 month backorder.

Any thoughts on what to try? I thought the cam and crank sensors either work or they dont.

I changed the harness as i found there was a short at the tps sensor.

Symptoms before were hesitation, inconsistent performance and the thing would scream at 11000rpm.

Thoughts on what to try? Is there a pit lane limiter on the base R1 HRC ecu? Is there a way to test the ecu or the bazzaz?

Thanks beeb gurus. I don't want to just throw parts at it, but im totally baffled.

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Not looking at ignition at all?

3. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

plugs are new, we've swapped coils as well. Ignition sub harness is new as well. I think the cam and crank sensors are the last pieces of the ignition puzzle, no?

4. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on what to check next? I thought Cam and Crank sensors either work or they don't.

Also, is there anywhere you can send an ECU for testing, or do you just borrow a bike and swap ECU?

5. They work off resistance. They can definitely start to go bad. It's a little bit more rare but I just had an older gsxr with a bad crank position sensor. It was just over on the resistance spec, it would run and run like shit.

6. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Thanks brother. Just waiting on senzors to arrive. Then we'll do some swapping.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Both of those sensors are a known weak point on those bikes. They get hot and their characteristics change, resulting in poor performance.

Is the TPS behaving normally? Can you observe it using the Bazzaz software and see if there is any unusual behavior/signal?

8. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

TPS is behaving normally. IIRC voltage is .47 at closed and increases smoothly to 4.9v. All within spec per Honda.

9. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Changed throttle bodies along with tps, iacv and map sensors. Cam and crank sensors were over the minimum peak voltage.

Changed the fuel pump for good measure.

This was the result...

Going to change plugs and coils tomorrow. One other friend suggested that looks like a bike with cams advanced too far. The intake cam is advanced as far as it can go on the cam sprockets. Worth messing with that?

20170804_160234_resized_1.jpg

10. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Changed throttle bodies along with tps, iacv and map sensors. Cam and crank sensors were over the minimum peak voltage.

Changed the fuel pump for good measure.

This was the result...

Going to change plugs and coils tomorrow. One other friend suggested that looks like a bike with cams advanced too far. The intake cam is advanced as far as it can go on the cam sprockets. Worth messing with that?

11. duc995

duc995 Yep…

That photo is going to give someone a seizure!!!

Mechanize, Steeltoe and Focker like this.
  12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

At this point, you should leave no stone unturned.

13. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

I've had several bikes in for tuning that made no power, and it turned out the be the cams out of whack.

14. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Well at least it made as much power as my Guzzi. :beer:

15. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Found the problem.

#1 - motor is tired as f*ck.

#2 - this was a fresh ngk iridium plug (stock plugs). He's got 3 other friends just like him.

Put in 4 new NGK CR9EK. Bike runs but based on the original dyno sheet from when the motor was fresh, its down about 20%. Same dyno, different pipe. She's a tired motor. Have a spare stocker to go in, but at least its rideable.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Ryan 20170806_121821_resized_1.jpg

16. bigkaley

bigkaley Well-Known Member

17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

So you have 4 plugs with electrodes touching the ground strap and the bike ran? Amazing.

Mechanize likes this.
  18. If they weren't like that when they were put in, I would LOVE to hear that motor running...

19. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Tired as fuck, understatement of the year? :D

20. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

I assume it's a modified engine. Milled head/high comp pistons coupled with stock plugs will result in what you see with the plugs... sometimes... but I'm not a 600RR builder so I don't know for sure. It might be set up for surface discharge plugs. With the EK plugs you probably lost quite a bit of compression because they are too short, and the spark would be shrouded.