1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The motorcycle industry is dying

Discussion in 'General' started by G 97, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

that's when its your time to go. well rather, i don't want or care that harley goes or stays or whatever... but that's when you need to take a good hard look at yourself in the mirror. he's not totally wrong, because there are two ways to do business and both have worked. but his way totally predicates itself on creating an image or product that people just simply MUST have or MUST be a part of. that's very subjective i think, and often needs a fair amount of luck. the other is listening to the people/environment/market and providing a service or good that the people really have a desire for and fulfilling that need. problem lies in thinking you're the first one when your image clearly is pushing you towards the second and you're misreading the current lay of the land.

it worked for them with the past generation. they created a persona that old dudes thought they simply just had to be a part of for whatever reason. if that's no resonating and you're not willing to change though... oops?

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I've read a lot of your posts. This was a really, really good one. The limited time I spend in that region every year, what you said was exactly what I saw. I have no idea what the solution is, but it needs to be fixed.

And I think it was something like 1300 entries at Summit. The paddock was packed.

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

How many races are held (by anyone) at Summit now annually?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

CCS does 2 or 3.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

3 CCS rounds at Summit this season.

6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike. FWIW, I don't know the solution either. But clearly the FL market cannot support racing twice a month, EVERY month, plus track days in between. I know that for me it is great, I can go race all the time, but not everyone is in my position. Also, I'm not chasing contingency money or championships so I don't feel pressure to ride at an unsafe track to maintain my #1 plate or points.

Someone mentioned to me that a factor in the large turnout in other regions is due to the fact that they only race 8 months a year. Same goes for AHRMA. I just came back from New Jersey where there were about 40 bikes on the SOT 2 grid! Florida is a strange market, we have a lot of people, but we also have a lot of recreation choices, year round. Heck, we even have MX in South Florida now, for years we had little to none.

I'm going to race no matter what, but I sure would like to see the vendors, promoters, and others who support the sport thriving. I think a big part of FMRRA's success down here has been leveraging of social media. New racers want more from their experience than just the on track action. Used to be that was "what it was all about", but now, what your "friends" see you doing is much more of a factor. On a Monday after a FMRRA weekend, I'm already tagged in dozens of videos and photos. That is very attractive to the newer generation of club racers. Even for the more experienced guys, it adds a new dynamic. CCS and WERA could learn a lot from that.

badmoon692008 and TurboBlew like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The main issue in FL is what one of the guys who built NHRA up told Evelyne years ago - you can't do well at a track with one road in and one road out.

FL itself is that way, you can't get people from other parts of the country to come down there, it's too damn far. AHRMA has a good following and does well running limited races in conjunction with others putting on huge events (the swap meets etc...) - which draws more racers. Summit is central to a few different metro areas. Just like we do well at Barber and Road Atlanta - you have a lot of people to draw from.

ekraft84 likes this.
  8. Lavana

Lavana The coming

I would also add that maybe they need another class within the white plates. Should be called super expert or something. I've heard a few people mention this. Some people might want to win or spend a little more money to try to win. When the same people for years and years keep winning and you know you have no chance to run a 125 in Homestead what do you do? At least if you are racing with the same people that you were going against as an amateur and have a chance to grow it creates a different atmosphere.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How can running against faster riders not be a chance to grow?

This is racing, not everyone gets a trophy. If you want to buy trophies I have the numbers of people.

badmoon692008, Scott S. and dtalbott like this.
  10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I'll never understand that mentality. I'm not fast enough to win so give me a class of slower people so I can win.

badmoon692008, SGVRider and Scott S. like this.
  11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

They already have it. It's called Lightweight :Poke:

badmoon692008 and 418 like this.
  12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That was uncalled for....:D

motoracer1100 and Gino230 like this.
  13. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Completely off topic, whatever happened to House of Power on Babcock in Melbourne, any idea? Used to love going in there and drooling!

14. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

It's a clue that they need to either step up their game or GTFO and find something else. It's the same mentality where people think the military should cater to them instead of adapting themselves. People are delusional.

15. 418

418 Expert #59

Calm down there cupcake.

It's club racing.

16. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

I believe the things you listed above have played a bigger part in people leaving CCS than people think. Especially the online registration. Instead, you gotta fax your entry forms for early registration. Seriously?!? I have never, and will never, own a fax machine. Hell, its only a matter of time before they're completely obsolete. Banks, job applications, even the gov't uses it! But not CCS??

And CCS only accepts cash if you arrive the day of the race (which happens a lot to me due to my schedule). There is no option of using a debit or credit card. Again, it's 2017. Very few people carry cash.

And I don't ever recall seeing an advertisement for the races?

17. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

"The right crowd and no crowding." Worked for Brooklands....

18. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

???

Are you talking about the race track in England that closed almost 80 years ago?

19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Ive pre-registered online and paid at the track the day of the races for CCS,with a credit card/debit card.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

CCS Florida? It's essentially a different org than normal CCS.