1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Or implement a way to control speed, ala the VSC.

2. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

And that silly flip-flop would not have saved Jules anyway...just a stupid knee jerk reaction to a phantom "problem" that needs to be corrected. How many F1 drivers have lost there lives in the last two decades that this would have saved them? Zero.

ungwaha likes this.
  3. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

It might have saved Senna.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  4. Jon Wilkens

Senna's death was over two decades ago and technology didn't exist material wise, BUT his death did bring about a very good change to the suspension tethering to keep that from happening again (and it has) without closing in the cockpit. This stupid flip-flop is a joke.

So who in the last two decades died that this flip-flop would have saved them? Zero.

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

How do they remove a car without the lift? That was a very unfortunate accident, but he lost control of his car under a yellow, then travelled across a runoff area before he hit. Who knows if this halo would've prevented his injuries, but you can't stop trying to make these cars safer.

6. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Not Formula 1 but open wheel racing - Henry Surtees.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Massa didn't die but the spring that hit his head messed him up pretty good. He was useless for a couple of seasons. Maybe a halo would have deflected it, maybe not. But it wouldn't have hurt to have one.

8. Jon Wilkens

The flip-flop could have deflected it into his chest and killed him or up and out of harms way...still no reason to implement something that is not needed. Those drivers are well aware of the dangers and are paid VERY well to take those risks...not like they are being forced to race.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So what? Just because they are paid well, they shouldn't care about safety? They are not paid to take unnecessary risks, they are paid for their skills.

10. Jon Wilkens

And how long ago was
    So what you ask?
    Risk vs reward...they take the risk and are rewarded very well. If they were not paid to to take UNNECESSARY risks, they would never step foot IN a race car. Racing at any level IS dangerous...and the flip-flop is not going to diminish that fact and may even contribute to the risk due to less visibility....you are putting an object in their field of view...like that is smart. smh

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You can shake your head all you want, it's not going to make you right. How does your risk/reward model work with the IOM TT? Based on your logic, they should be paid a hell of a lot better than MotoGP racers. And if all risks are the same in a race car (i.e. no such thing as unnecessary risks), why did they get to the conclusion that an exposed upper body with no seatbelts was possibly not conducive to a reasonable life expectancy? Why bother with all the changes they've made to safety regulations over the past 50 years? After all, they are paid very well.

Razr likes this.
  12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Besides the fact that they make the cars look shitty and seem to be straying from the open cockpit concept, there are enough teams, drivers and former drivers against the halo that I would think that its implementation should be revisited. It is funny what people can push thru by playing the "safety" card.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Just to be clear, I'm not a supporter. I'm just not against it because it's on my ass risking my life in those cars. If the drivers don't want it, I'm fine with it. The cars will look better without it. But the notion that they should shut up about safety just because they are paid well is retarded.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And the notion that the teams and drivers are all about safety is silly too. I've had plenty of them over the years argue against our rules that were only there for rider safety.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  15. Jon Wilkens

2009 was not F1...please pay attention. That was GP2 and that is a totally different car and not as skilled driver...the wheel tether BROKE (remember that was a feature added because of Senna crash), it failed allowing it to hit Surtees and that halo would not have saved him from that either. The impact of that wheel to the cockpit at that speed is too great.
    That was just his day to leave this earth.

The risk/reward model is not just monetary...so your attempt to discredit are moot. Again, we are speaking F1 in an F1 thread...please pay attention and keep up.

VFR#52 likes this.
  16. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I think I hate it not only because it looks bad, but its a solution looking for a problem.

I'm sure they've tested it like crazy, but having that single mounting point on the nose puts a huge leverage point right at the drivers legs. How will that affect the 'safety pod'? Thinking back to Alonsos crash where he went rolling into the gravel and into the tire wall, he got out and walked away without a scratch. Would that halo have dug in and made it worse? Ripped off and damaged the saftey pod? Smashed straight down between his legs?

VFR#52 likes this.
  17. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the halo has been built and tested specifically to protect against loose wheel impacts. Looking for an article now.

Most articles list Surtess, Wheldon, Wilson, and Massa as incidents where this would have likely helped.

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think that halo idea might work better on an Indycar, where there's a wall not far from the racing line. I can think of a few deaths where the driver's helmet actually made contact with the wall...Weldon, Brayton, but it's been a few years.

Maybe the halo would've helped Justin Wilson, a piece of debris hit his helmet during a race.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Sweet baby Jesus, I love failed attempts at being a smartass. When Robin mentioned Surtees, he already said that it wasn't F1. Post #2306. Try reading it again slowly. I didn't think I needed to repeat it for the slow kid. And while I'm helping you with this, it was not GP2. That series didn't run at Brands Hatch. It was a Formula 2 race, which ran concurrently with the GP2 series that has now taken over its name.

So, about keeping up and paying attention…

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    tiggen likes this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Who said or even implied that?