1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk Pressure Washers

Discussion in 'General' started by USracer900, Jul 10, 2017.

1. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I've had bad luck up here leaving fuel in them but our winters do get cold.

If I'm storing them I run them out of fuel, even sta-bil has screwed me.

Then I use starter to draw RV antifreeze through the pump.

Once I started storing that way never had any problems with pumps or motors.

My diesel ones I do leave the fuel in though.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

while on this subject, what kind of washer can I use to clean the roof?

3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

:stupid:

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Asphalt? Get a chemical cleaner, and a hose. Never use a pressure washer on a roof, of any kind.

XFBO, Phl218, pscook and 2 others like this.
  5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

What are you cleaning on a shingled roof?

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

that nasty looking moldy stuff

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I made that mistake on a rental. Ok I made alot of mistakes but pressure washing the shingles (even on low) cost me a new roof a few years later! :D

BigBird likes this.
  8. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

Is this what probably happened to me? I pulled out my cheapy PW after last winter and couldn't get it started and running (carb issue). Cleaned the carbs so got it running again, but now when I pull the lever the whole unit just stops very abruptly. Assume something is going on inside the pump that it locks up.

9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Tough to say.

Did you purge the water from the pump before winter set in?

If motor is running fine then it is most likely a pump issue.

Remove the tip from the gun and see if it will run then with the trigger squeezed (no backpressure)

Does the motor have an automatic off switch when you stop spraying?

10. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

I didn't purge the pump, but I hadn't used it for several months before winter storage. This was the 3rd or 4th winter I had stored it with no issues, not having done anything special to the pump (probably got lucky).

Not aware of any auto off switch. Will try the no-tip method tonight see if that gives any more clues.

11. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Now this is a Man thread like I was talking about. Great job!

12. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Admit it. You miss the cooking threads. That's the real reason you came back.

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

A case of Mt. Dew and a pile of shit talk.

TurboBlew and SmokeSignalRT like this.
  14. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I've never met a pressure washer that I couldn't break.

15. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Most Sams club/Lowes units will give you a good 3-4 years until the pump goes out. The engine will run forever. Some people see 10 years plus but they are the minority.

This is if you own a dirt bike or especially a SxS.
    The later take over an hour when good and dirty. If you ride all the time and have $20k sunk into one, a lot of people buy the Yamaha, which is a lot more $$ but last forever. But again, as soon as I say that someone will post they they junked one in a month. They are the minority.

Look at them like a generator. If it's only for emergency power, you can buy a troybilt. But if you go to the track, camp and use them all the time, Honda and Yamaha are the only way to go.

Rent one or pay a pro to come clean the house. I have seen many people ruin paint and wood hitting it with a high psi power washer.

SethG likes this.
  16. I've got the generac 3000 or something like that. It's been very good and I use it a lot. Always starts on about 1/2 a pull. Don't rent one, if you have one you will use it more than you think. I used a buddies 5500 industrial one last year for speed cleaning the house. It was awesome but not $4k awesome.

17. rcmike917

rcmike917 Well-Known Member

The pump is what fails every time, buy based on the pump if you can. I got tired of screwing around and wasting time with crap power washers from big box stores and bought the Yamaha w/ CAT pump. the Subaru/CAT pump from home depot is a good one. The Yamaha can idle down when using, cheap power washers the pump will just blow up eventually if you do not know how to use them right.

Lot's of dirt bikes, off road hobbies and house properties so I use my power washer 3-4 times a month.

edit- the Yamaha has a real nice 800 psi feature great for power washing bikes or something that might get damaged.

Mike

ts199 likes this.
  18. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

You are a 100% right on this one. I ended up buying the Troy Built/Honda and I have to refill the damn tank like every 30 minutes. I may even take it back and get the Husqvarna for this very reason.

19. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

And right on cue, I go to use my Powerwasher from Home Depot with the Honda engine and voila, the pump craps out.

This one made it 5 years, but didn't get used much.

20. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

BigBird likes this.