1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tour de France thread

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Jul 4, 2017.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

I thought he gave some time back to him later on. Can't remember. In any event I'm not a Contador fan. They see to think this may be his last tour as well.

vizsladog likes this.
  2. G 97

G 97 Garth

I wouldn't be afraid to get one. I looked at the Scott's but I didn't like the feel of their carbon frame. Giant seemed to be pretty decent. To be honest I might go back to aluminum frame for my next road bike.

3. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

contador was dq'd after he was caught doping handing schlock the win.

4. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I've been eyeing BMC's Roadmachine 01, checked it out several times at the LBS. Just too much for me to spend on a bicycle. I've also been looking at the Lynskey's, I like the idea of titanium over carbon with my weight.

5. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Lifetime warranty on the frames if I remember right.

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Ahhh.

Hey how clean do you think the fields are today. I would think they are cleaner over all but do you think there is still some PED going on. Pretty hard to think that everyone is 100% clean.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This is truly puzzling. You regularly come up with some of the most entertaining spelling on the BBS, and you are one of only a handful here who can properly spell "peloton."
    <Mind fucked> :D

cha0s#242 likes this.
  8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Part of the challenge of being 100% clean is just keeping track of all of the banned substances and then knowing exactly what is in every last thing you eat or inject. Lots of drugs have multiple brand names, etc. Sometime it is a class of substance that is banned, so then you have to become an expert on what stuff falls into that class.

Now the other side of that is how many of them are skirting along the edge of the rules as to what nutritional supplements allowed.

Bottom line is you will catch a few that are outright cheating. You will get a few who are trying to walk the tightrope and slipped a bit. You will catch some that were not trying to do anything wrong, but took the wrong cold medicine by mistake and gained no performance advantage in the end. Sucks for them because others are cheating and they get caught up in it. Some will get away with cheating. That's life.

G 97 likes this.
  9. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

Seem damn good for the money. I just bought my first road bike, a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1. Ultegra components, tubeless carbon wheels, under 15lbs stock. I'm a rookie to road biking but can't say enough good things about it and it was only about $3k. That's not chump change of course but it's a damn good deal for a bike that nice and that light/fast.

Lawn Dart and cha0s#242 like this.
  10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

I know, right. :crackup:

12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I like the Propel Advanced 1, it looks awesome. I've never tried one though.

13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I'm over 200 lbs. In the early and mid 90's when carbon fiber frames were coming out and becoming more popular the cons were carbon did not have stress cracks, the frame would just fail. I have ridden Cannondales since the then. I just also have a carbon steel Surly for commuting.

I was recently riding/speaking with a long time riding partner who upgraded to a carbon fiber with metal lugs. So I'm curious to how far the carbon fiber technology has advanced since then.

14. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I'm over 200 lbs and have put a ton of miles on several Giant carbon frames without any issues.

15. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

16. speedluvn

Curious? What models? I've never really considered a carbon fiber bike while I was deeply in the sport. I've just returned to the sport after a long hiatus and my curiousity has been intrigued since talking to my old riding partner.

17. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Both the Defy and TCR Advanced SL. Right now I'm riding a flat bar steel bike because I'm not riding anywhere like I use too. Now its mostly around the neighborhood chasing my son around. I also owned a Scott full carbon Tri bike that I put a lot of hours on with out any issues.

18. speedluvn

Same here. Not riding anywhere near the miles I onced used to ride.

Thanks for the info.

19. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

cycling is a filthy disgusting sport. No way is froome clean. id say 70% of the field is dirty. there are just better dr.'s now to figure out how not to get caught

20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Agreed. Best proof is they are destroying Lance's times on specific routes and that gain in performance sure can't be attributed to bicycle technology or even progress in training techniques.

I have friends I ride with casually (not even racers) that even considered taking micro doses of EPO. I was like WTF ?

vizsladog likes this.