1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most efficient, least messy way to bleed brakes and clutches?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I only use the mighty vac to suck the master empty, other than that It isn't worth the $. I've tried all forms of vacuum on the slaves and they just seem to draw bubbles thru the partially open nipple threads on the slave so that I'm never sure when all the air is gone. May try the speed bleeders next.

2. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with the harbor freight set up too.

RRP likes this.
  3. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Same question. Reviews seem to be mixed on these things.

4. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

This. Works better than the vacuum bleeders for me, sometimes they leave air in the system. Make a hole in the cap so the tubing fits snug then a second hole for air to escape.

[​IMG]
    borrowed pic I found

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    R1M370 likes this.
  5. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I've always purchased them from speedbleeders.com. The only problem I've had with mine (and I put them on every bike and every bleeder) is after a while the thread sealant wears off if you bleed them a lot. Applying the new sealant requires baking them in the oven which I haven't mastered so I just wrap them in teflon.

lopitt85 likes this.
  6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

This one on Amazon (identical to the HF model, I believe) has done me well for a few years and 15ish bleeds. Works great, 5 stars.

upload_2017-6-23_9-44-39.png

7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

The SBS and mityvac pneumatic bleeders are the best, hands down. I have the harbor freight version and it does the job, but not quite as well. Better than expected though for a 1/4 of the price. You'll need a decent compressor but nothing ridiculous.

8. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Have Broome do it for you....he never makes a mess!

9. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

KrooklynSV likes this.
  10. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

If your having issues getting tubing to stay on the nipple, look for some silicone tubing. Speedbleeders.com carries it and I believe Kurvey Girl may as well. That tubing has saved a lot of messes for me because it doesn't slip off like the poly tube do, plus it doesnt get hard over time either. I use it with the mighty vac and and can bleed brakes in just a few minutes without much drama.

jksoft likes this.
  11. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Thanks for that tip.

I personally love the Speed Bleeders, but noticed that after the 3rd or so time bleeding the brakes that they aren't sealing quite as well. They're ok when you are finished and torque them down, but during the bleeding process itself they would tend to leak slightly.

12. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

How often do you guys take the pistons out of the calipers to get that last bit of boiled oil out when changing oil?

Just running fresh in, from the top, or from the bottom, still leaves old fluid in the calipers, no?

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Not enough to say so. I wouldn't take the pistons out for that reason. If you're worried about it push the pistons all the way in.

14. MotoGP1199

MotoGP1199 Well-Known Member

I got the one straight from http://www.speedbleeder.com I forget the exact reasons, but I remember getting these because there was another design that was more prone to leaking. These I've had no issues with. I have them on two bikes and one car.

15. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

16. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

Goodridge Speedbleeders

I put them on every bike I purchase now.
    They are designed so if the mechanics fail, they will work like a regular bleeder.
    Just get some tygon or standard clear tubing at the auto parts store and a bottle to catch the used fluid.

17. tigerblade

tigerblade Mostly Titanium

I have a Mitivac but pretty much just use it for the tubing and reservoir in conjunction with speed bleeders.

18. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What size compressor is needed to run a pneumatic? My handheld has worked for me but I'm looking to upgrade. And it seems like the Mityvac is hit or miss in this thread - if not that, then what pneumatic is best?

19. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Screenshot_20200612-212003.png Hair dye bottle and clear tube. About $3.50 in total cost :D

Steeltoe and TurboBlew like this.
  20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Between the Mityvac and this I've gotten more use out of this. Makes filling empty calipers easy and it will hold enough fluid to fill a new empty brake line up to the mc. I use the Mityvac hose with it. Think I got mine at Napa or Autozone whichever. Works well for a steering damper too.