1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shop labor rates

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Jun 22, 2017.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Gino,

Even a hack like me did a chain swap in 30 minutes with the tool at harbor freight. You could do it easily at the track while tires are being swapped. Just order the chain with the correct number of links so no cutting necessary

2. 418

418 Expert #59

You'd think having a couple of uber Ducati's you'd be used to being raped on service prices.

3. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

It's high to me, but I'm cheap as fuck. But you're paying for convenience, and probably a large portion of that is going to shop over head.

Everybody wants something for nothing.

masshole, Phl218 and Gino230 like this.
  4. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Yeah that's true. I think I have post traumatic shock from all those bills, so now with the R6 I'm compensating by being extra cheap on shit.

I get it, they are in business to make money. I don't expect anything for free, this is my hobby, not theirs. I also know you get what y0u pay for.

However I'm glad I know how to do a lot of this shit on my own, I guess I didn't realize how much money I have been saving over the years with little stuff like this. Half the reason I sent it there was I didn't want to go buy a new impact driver and chain tool. :D

5. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Where you getting chains cut to length? Any decent chain I've ever ordered usually comes 120 links. It's not like it's hard to cut it to size though.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

But stuff like that is the best reason to buy new tools...

Think of all the money you can save in the future!!!

7. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I have shop owners that are friends. When it's time for tires, they just point me to the tire and balance machines and say have at it. Can't beat free.:D

I do the occasional carb clean and rebuild for them though, same price.

badmoon692008 and dtalbott like this.
  8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What he said! You can usually buy the tools for what you save by doing it yourself just once. Plus you know it's done right.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. That's what most shops stock. We can order anything from 100-130 links.

skidooboy, notbostrom and inpayne like this.
  10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Don't listen to these guys, they want you to be all reasonable and shit,
    but I can tell you one thing, chief, the squeaky wheel gets the fucking grease.
    You go down there and raise hell right now.
    Tell them you're the lap record holder at your local electric go-kart track, that should impress them.
    If that doesn't help, tell them you're a lawyer and then dump some threats on them, that usually gets a response.
    Just do something, for crying out loud.
    Don't be a pussy, get your ass down there and start screaming.
    Then come back and tell us about it.

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

^^^ This, I order all my chains to length. Hardly ever cut one.

skidooboy likes this.
  12. backbone

backbone scarred for life

We charge $100 to m/b front and rear tires on the bike for most bikes.
    Also the chain install alone would be $40 min.
    Chain and sprox is $140.
    We sell the chain a bit cheaper, but all in all it seems fair to me.

13. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

Sounds reasonable, that's why none of my cars or bikes have ever seen a dealership unless it was for warranty or recall work.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  14. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

A good honest Ducati Service Writer will never rape a customer or have a customer "feel" raped. He will explain the time it took and explain how much overhead a shop has if indeed the customer is that interested. After ten years I am still a little bit amazed how fast that $100 disappears into the overhead. That's why I have to finance my racebikes. lol

Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are shops raping people but it has nothing to do with Ducati, just the people running the shops. Could happen with nonDucati as well. Plus I know you were fucking around a bit and I agree its stereotypically funny. :)

15. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

We never raped anybody, and our shop has been closed since Nov, 2014.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Rape is in the eye of the rapee.
    Or in his butt, I suppose.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

More like in the eye of the "my buddy had this done for $75 by this dude from Craigslist"...

18. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

My plumber charges $75 an hour.

I need a wall mount faucet installed, he told me it would be about an hour plus parts

He did it on his way home, there was another guy in the truck. He tried to charge me $250. 1.5 hours for two guys plus parts.

He is no longer my plumber.

19. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I love my Dad, but he is too nice.

I'm the asshole who kept the place open for the last ten months.

20. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Not too bad.. all carb cleans are not sludged equaly. Air and fuel circuits can be a challenge to clean. Jets, imulsion tubes, needle seats.. pick your crud, corrosion, wax sludge.. once all clean set float levels, install, adjust mixture, balance and go. I do all of this every time and I will educate the customer on how to prevent a repeat proceedure next spring. They usualy dont do it though. See you next year, fine by me.
    Unless you only got a quick carb invert, jet clean and prayer the price was just IMHO.