1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Sale: RS125 NF4 / YZ85

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by punchsponge, Jun 21, 2017.

1. punchsponge

punchsponge Well-Known Member

My RS85. About 90% right - could probably use a different pipe. Just a little dead spot in the power band that you have to short-shift around once or twice at certain tracks. Others: dead on. Research tells me that an RLV TC4 would do the job. Recent top end, 147psi compression. F1 bike in OMRL, has run consistent 52s at CRP with my slow butt on it. Clean swap with no modifications to the frame. Solid little bike. $2,500, can post video of a blast up the street if anyone is interested. YZ.jpg YZ in motion.jpg

2. punchsponge

Sorry about the gigantic photo. It's not really that big.

3. punchsponge

I've had a couple of requests for photos of the engine swap: here are some nice ones from a listing posted by a previous owner a few years back. http://www.cmraracing.com/showthread.php?22190-For-Sale-Honda-Yamaha-RS85 Bike will be outside Garage #8 this weekend at Mid Ohio. No problem with anyone who is interested taking a buzz bomb around the back side of Thunder Valley on it.

4. still available?

5. punchsponge

Yes, though the pipe is currently at Dynoport where they were to custom fabricate a new one. Been a few months, and after playing around with the timing on my RS125 /KX60, I sort of wish I had it back so I could give that a try. Nice, clean little bike. If you're serious about taking a look, drop me a PM. Have four RS chassis bikes in the garage now and I could use the space / money for other projects... Like an RS125 / CRF100. :)

6. my son rides a NSR50 at the moment but looking for something for him to keep growing with. What would eventually need to be done to make it a 125 again besides a motor?

7. punchsponge

Honestly, if your son wants to step up to the big tracks on a 125, the later version of this bike, the NX4, which is 1994 and later, I think, is the way to go. Good, sorted bikes start in the $3,500 neighborhood. Less money in the long run to leave this a kart track bike and focus on the later frame and engine for the big tracks, IMO. Taking it a step further, Gavin Anthony's MotoAmerica RC390 cup bike is for sale, with extensive spares, for 5k right now. Again, to be honest, if I had a son, depending on his size, I might hold off a year on the big tracks and then go with Gavin's bike, or maybe adopt this plan with an RS85 that he can keep and ride on the kart tracks on his off weekends. :)

8. Thanks for the honesty you are right he could get on a ninja 250 or a rc now I just want him to have fun and enjoy himself on the mini and learn all he can before I start bringing him to Jennings to ride and race with me.

9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Spending a season on an RS85 has helped the development of every kid I have seen go that route, as opposed to jumping directly to a bigger bike. As for converting one back to 125, better to sell it to the next kid in line and just buy a bigger bike. We really enjoyed our season in Wera minis on our little RS. It's the only thing we kept from our road racing days.

10. punchsponge

I love this bike, but I've got to give it a bump due to constant travel for work and way, way, WAY too many projects in the garage right now. Will consider separating the motor and selling it as a roller or trade up / down for a sim racing set-up. Make me an offer...

11. sbrokerboy

sbrokerboy Well-Known Member

Location?

12. punchsponge

Chillicothe, Ohio. Will also trade up/down toward an NX4 roller.