1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Kayaks

Discussion in 'General' started by SmokeSignalRT, May 29, 2017.

1. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

School me on fishing kayaks. Ive narrowed down my choice to a sit on top type. I'll mostly be fishing small farm ponds and lakes. Any brand I should stay away from? They all look about the same to me. Also I'm thinking 12 ft.

2. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Get a Hobie. You'll thank me later.

I have a Perception, a Jackson and a Hobie Revolution. I haven't paddled the other two since I bought the Hobie.

SmokeSignalRT likes this.
  3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Do the fins present any problem in rougher water? I've been looking at those for quite a while, but they are a bit spendy.

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

pretty much everyone i know in San Diego that fishes from a kayak says to get a Hobie if u can afford it.

5. Dits

Not at all. I wouldn't use them in white water though.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Can it be used without the fins?

7. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

For river and stream fishing, the Jackson is the go-to for around here. I have a Jackson Coosa, and flat love it. Very well thought out, very good quality.

Whatever you buy, I really like Ram accessory stuff. The "ball" system works great.

For bigger water, the Hobies look very nice. Here, the rudders, drive systems and such are superfluous.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The pedal drive looks cool for pond/lake fishing.

9. Dits

Yes. You will get a little bit of water near your feet, but no more than if you left a scupper unplugged.

I agree that it may not be the best boat for moving water (rapids etc.). For lakes, rivers and salt water around here, it cannot be beat. Pants is right about the Jacksons. They are very well thought out. I have their fishing-purpose built SUP and it's tons of fun and user friendly. It's slow as balls though.

Jason, keep your eyes on Craigslist if you're serious. The Tampa craigslist seems to have the most. Orlando, Jax and Daytona CL have them. I found mine in Sarasota and got it for $1,000.00... it's $2,500.00 new.

10. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I looked this morning Dits. I also want to use it for day trips with the crew just drinking. I'll keep an eye out for a Hobie but it may a bit overkill for my use unless I just come across a used one too good to pass up. I was hoping to be in the 5-600 range used if possible.

11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

12. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Hobie w/ mirage drive is the bomb if you really want to fish. It's hard to fish and paddle at the same time. Also , the first time you have to paddle far back home in a strong headwind you will realize why you paid the money. Look for places that rent them and see if you can score a "cheap" used one. Not sure how they can charge what they do for a new one but people buy them. Last boat show they were around 2800 if I'm not mistaking. They have been around awhile so you should be able to find a used one

13. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

Be careful going out in groups. If you have the biggest boat you end up hauling everyone's stuff. My daughters named my kayak "Marge the Barge" because I always had to carry their gear.

I think the biggest difference in recreational boats is the plastic and the seat. Cheaper boats have vacuum molded plastic and you sit on the plastic hull. More expensive boats are much heavier roto-molded plastic and the seat is actually a chair with a fabric bottom. Obviously, the heavier plastic is a lot more durable, and the chair is far more comfortable for all day paddling.Really, as long as you get a good name kayak, you'll likely be happy. Jackson, Hobie and some Perception.

Do yourself a solid and go look at a few boats and see the difference in quality between a $2000 and a $200 kayak. For most people most of the time, a $200 boat is just fine. You just need to see for yourself and buy the one that suits your needs.

SmokeSignalRT likes this.
  14. Dits

15. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

This is my fishing rig. It's called a Wavewalk. I got this outboard and a trolling motor I use instead depending on where I go. Good for almost 7mph when loaded. Lots of storage room.

DSC_0915x.jpg DSC_0916x.jpg DSC_0918x.jpg

DSC_0921x.jpg

16. 12v_dub

12v_dub Well-Known Member

I've got a hobie Pro Angler 14 and it's an amazing fishing machine. Mainly fish lake lanier with it, but also salt water. The amount of money I got tied into it, could get you a nice skiff boat. Lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Captain Morgan likes this.
  17. 12v_dub

I have a 2014 hobie outback for sale in great condition. Here's my ad on CL https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/spo/6153184748.html

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

What's with the sunglasses and bandana ? Are you hoping the fish won't recognize you ? :D

19. 12v_dub

That was last weekend in Savannah during 96 degree weather. without it, I'd be burnt to crisp

20. Dits

Nice! And just for the record, I have a Hobie and a 16 ft flats boat. I use the Hobie more often.

12v_dub likes this.