Here's My Two Cents on Yates

Discussion in 'General' started by CorollaDude, Mar 7, 2004.

1. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

2. pseudocode

pseudocode Well-Known Member

Excellent piece!

3. RR_Kid

RR_Kid Formerly YZF600boy

Too Long....:D Sorry Bruce i'm on spring break right now, so i am excuse from any and all thinking for the next 8 days....But from what i did read so far i liked!!!

4. myNAMEisMUDD

myNAMEisMUDD i like the sound of that

nice piece, interesting idea :beer: It would be too cool to see what guys like Lee, Opie, Barnes and a whole handful of others could do, given the best equipment money can buy- and then some. The factory guy knows what kind of advantage he's got, but no doubt he'd appreciate it more.

5. dave333

dave333 traveler

you coulda said what needed to be said in 1, maybe 2 paragraphs...

6. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Very interesting, as always. Too long, as always.:D

One comment about this statement: "There’s even the issue of whether of not Yates should face criminal charges. In my opinion, while I whole-heartedly agree that Yates was out-of-line, such a legal action will not only be extremely detrimental to motorcycle road racing, but will also open a Pandora’s Box to virtually any other sport, from pro football to small-town soccer matches."

It is Yates whi is detrimental to the sport.

OK, 2 comments. Most assauts in sports should be prosecuted. Permiting juvenile and dagerous attacks by atheletes has gone on too long. But this is for another day. I'll be in NC over August Bruce -- beers??

7. FastBoy

FastBoy Well-Known Member

Nice write up but that will never happen if simply for the fact that you can't take a factory rider and put him on a privateer's ride of another brand.

How about this idea instead? With the advent of a new superstock class we now have two premier classes with "essentially" stock machines. Certainly these bikes are much closer to what you or I could purchase than a full blown superbike spec machine. The superstock class is running superbike times and both superstock and supersport classes offer the closest, most exciting racing on two wheels. Why not absolve both FX and superbike "elite" classes and race the superstock and supersport classes on a larger scale? I personally don't have any interest in seeing $100k 600cc machines do battle especially when the supersport 600's are faster! We could get more factory backed riders on the grids and also have less of a gap between privateer's rides and factory rides this way.

Just my .02

8. dave333

dave333 traveler

Absolve? Didja mean "dissolve"?

I like the idea and the close racing it would generate. I'm thinking it might be easier on the tires and as a result safer.

9. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

And punishment is "meted" out, not "metered", and it was BREAD and cake, not MEAT and cake.:D :D :D
    Dontcha just love all these editors willing to help you out??:D :D
    Seriously, that was a nice piece. You're exactly right about Mladin too.:)

10. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

ROTFLMAO! :D

Hey I have "meted" and "bread." Whacha talking about?! ;) :D

Yeah, Rodger, we'll have a bunch of 'em. Bill Conger and Darrin and I may even take you to Ziggy's.

Err...thanks Rich. :D

Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Good stick.

Still gettin' paid by the column inch?

:D

12. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

Excellent piece!

13. gerry

gerry Portuguese MotoGP Champ

I think thats the direction the AMA should take as well. Superbike and FX are classes that show off how well a factory can make a race bike, not necassarily who the best rider is or who has the best production bike.

I'm kind of ashamed at how Honda pulled out of supersport in favor of fx. Honda is basically saying there production 600 is not good enough to compete so they'll race fx where they can make the necassary changes to it so it can be competitive.

I dont even know why privateers compete in Superbike. There is really about zero chance they can win or get a podium. Why not run Superstock where there is somewhat of a chance they can compete against the factory.

14. Tank Boy

Tank Boy clank clank boom

for the purse money

and the chance to get run over by a factory bike.

15. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

I think a lot of people give the bike too much credit. They're trick, they're bad, but not perfect. Hacking in FX last year is a good example.
    I remember an interview in American Roadracing years ago. I think he summed it up about factory riders in general. This isn't an exact quote but you'll get the idea. "...if you don't think I can get on your bike and go faster than you you're already a star just waiting to be discovered"- Miguel Duhamel

16. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

BTW, that was great Bruce.

17. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Okay how's this? :D

Mladin rules.
    Jessica Simpson rules.
    End factory system.

18. FastBoy

FastBoy Well-Known Member

I'll go along with this part for sure!

Jessica Simpson rules

:clap:

19. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Glad to see you finally took something for that diarrhea of the mouth you had earlier. ;)

20. racer919

racer919 Still slow...

Great article! Well written, balanced and insightful.

Does AMA still have a claiming rule and does it cover complete bikes? Maybe the top three bikes are impounded after the race by the AMA, the teams get $50k additional prize money and the bikes are sold at auction to any team not in the top 10 during that race?