1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go Karting

Discussion in 'General' started by josh7owens, May 25, 2017.

1. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

so I went to the local indoor gokart place they opened a few months ago. I currently hold the lap record that's .3 seconds faster lap times than the pro global rallycross driver could run. Also I won both qualifying races along with winning the heat race by 3.2 seconds over second place. I made $150 bucks. haha.

Anyways....

I thought you guys would get a kick out of me lapping people when I took my GoPro earlier...

Also here's another race that I did to show the race line.

I think the first video is worth being viral, it had me dying laughing as I blew by everyone

XFBO and BigBird like this.
  2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

You must have gotten the cheater kart....

Congrats.

track wagon and nortong22 like this.
  3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I remember the time I raced a go-kart at Branson MO with a buddy of mine.

We were the only ones on the track, so we could run WFO. He was a Honda tech, so he showed me how to temporarily raise the rev limiter.

We laughed our heads off, too.

4. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

I wish, I've ran probably 15 of the karts and I can run within .1-.2 of the same time in each kart.

These are electric, no turning them up. It's all about carrying speed, understanding understeer, and not lifting. If only I was as fast on a bike as I am in a car. :/

BigBird and dtalbott like this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Very impressive.

At K1 Speed out here I've made top 10 for the week, but never had the record.

track wagon likes this.
  6. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

Nice, I have the record out of 4000+ people that's came through there. I think it's a pretty awesome achievement and a testament to my driving ability and precision behind the wheel.

The record is a 20.148, I've ran a 20.1XX 3 or 4 times now but I typically average a 20.2-20.4 laptime depending on the kart I get in. Some of the karts want to hop or understeer more than others and it leads to being a tenth or two slower. I've ran the 20.1XX in three different karts though.

Apparently the global rallycross driver that came in was pissed that he couldn't get near the record and said that theirs no way the few of us that's fast could be that fast. The funny thing is he's sponsored my the gokart place.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  7. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Damn, that was dirty at 3:25. Track record is still impressive though, nicely done.

I used to work at an indoor kart place, something about that track and electric karts looks totally different than what I'm used to, it used to be all about not sliding and controlling oversteer because the track was so slippery that you would lose so much time sliding. That looks like pin it and hold onto the understeer.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  8. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

Haha yea kinda dirty but it's indoor gokarting with bumpers at 40mph, you can be dirty. The difference between a "normal person" and me is staggering and quiet amazing in my opinion. It's crazy how much more speed I'm carrying around track than some average joe just wanting to ride gokarts for fun.

This is race grade asphalt, it's very sticky, feels like walking on a heavy duty rubber mat, it's that sticky. The karts need front tires, I'm finding that some of them are more pushy then others do to the fronts going off. With new tire I'm thinking a 19 second lap is possible if everything is perfect. Apparently this track is the only MB2 Raceway that has this race surface and I absolutely love it! I'm not a fan of tracks that slide around the whole time. I used to lift in two places and now I only lift in one to introduce some lift throttle oversteer to rotate the kart then I'm back on the gas to settle the rear from starting to hop. The rest of the track I've made my line to be smooth and flowy enough to be able to carry the speed and balance the push/hop. One big trick is to early apex the back S section to carry more speed on exit. A lot of people mess that up and hence why I passed a lot there.

It's all fun, I figured you guys would get a kick out of the video of me blowing around everyone laughing like a school girl. :)

9. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Hell yeah, karts are so much fun. I used to do leagues, they were awesome because guys would be really competitive and it was racing instead of just lapping around. I should try that again, super cheap and fun racing other than the occasional nut who wanted to fight if you stuffed him on the last lap.

10. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

Yea that's how this place is also. The cool thing is they payout $150 for 1st, $100 2nd, and $50 for third in the Sunday race. You do two qualifiers and then a heat race lined up based on your qualifying position.

The funny thing is theirs 3-4 other guys that can run 20.2XX lap times but no one but me can consistently run a full race with a average faster than a 20.4XX. Which worked out great for me this past Sunday when I gapped second place by 3.2 seconds over 14 laps. During the main race I averaged a 20.294 laptime.

I owe my 7+ years of national SCCA autoX for my ability to be so consistent. Inches equal hundreds of seconds and I've lost and won national autox events by thousands of seconds over a 40-60 second course.

11. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

Haha the way I look at it is if I can get to your back bumper then my lap time average is probably faster than the other guy. Which means he either needs to move or get moved. I have no problem stuffing someone in a kart for the win.

Our "friend rule" of this when running with my friends is you get tapped twice, if you don't let the person by then they are open to making you move.

The scoring and results are based on fastest lap, similar to time attack. Holding someone up is just being a dick and ruining the fun for all parties involved.

The winning rules on Sunday are different from a typical race obviously.... just to clarify that.

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh, now I suppose you're gonna tell us you could drive NASCRAP at Charlotte and set the lap record. :Poke: :p

TurboBlew, rk97, hotnail and 2 others like this.
  13. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

I do have a few friends that race in the world challenge but no, NASCAR is ghay.

Dragginass likes this.
  14. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

You need to work on your passing. Just saying.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

at a public day, that's fine. there's a lot of people there that are out for a sunday stroll

16. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

That was pretty cool. I used to go regularly, but then I moved and the place is farther away now. Also we have 2 race series going down here, and I still travel to AHRMA a few times a year so I'm racing bikes a lot.

Those karts are tricky, you can't use the brakes because you'll lose too much momentum. But it's hard to get any weight transfer onto the front to keep it from plowing everywhere.

17. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

18. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I went to the one in Florence a year or two ago and the owner was crazy strict about bumping walls or other karts. I would drift out on corner exit and barely graze the outside wall during one race and he came out screaming his head off at me. It took me a while just to figure out what the hell he was talking about.

I was within a second of the lap record up there. I did notice big differences between the 3 karts I drove that day. One had a great chassis, one had a strong motor and the other was in the middle of both. I was within 0.5s with each of them though.

I've been meaning to make it to mb2. I think I'll be there in July, hopefully anyhow.

dtalbott likes this.
  19. Cool stories bro.

track wagon, V5 Racer, j cal and 9 others like this.
  20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Wish there was one on the Southside of ATL. We've got a shit ton of unused warehouse space for some fool to start loosing money setting one up.