1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to make the switch.......but dont know enough

Discussion in 'Tech' started by TheScarpino, Apr 27, 2017.

1. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct. The Power Cup Evo Rear really doesn't like hot pressures more than 25 psi. I was having some terrible hot tearing issues with the rear (mostly at NCM) and coming off the track at "25-26" psi. Then I discovered that my tire gauge was reading 2 psi low, so in actuality I was coming off the track at 27-28 psi and the tire was a mess. The rear Power Cup Evo needs to be NO more than 25 hot.

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

what made u think that slicks at 140F have less grip than Q3s at 140F?

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

consider just going to the dot EVO race compound. You will go faster at ANY track than your street tires. i only say get the dot evo vs slick, as it's one less change and mentally, it may be a good thing. there is really little to no noticeable performance advantage to the evo SLICK vs the dot evo race tire. not for most of us. That, and you could throw the dot's on a street bike after you are done with them for the track. Not advisable, but lots of people do it, or sell em as take offs to some other street guy. Slicks are nearly impossible to sell as take offs.

for sure. above 25psi hot on the track for the rear, is less than ideal.

4. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Because Q3s were designed to operate at that temp, and slicks weren't?

5. stangmx13

so? slicks are a better product and have an operating range just like street tires. they dont have zero grip at temps below their optimal range, they just dont have their max grip. given that their max grip is higher, its very possible that they have more grip than street tires below their optimal temp range.

my personal experience running takeoffs on the street suggests that race tires have more grip than street tires for a very wide range of temps. IMO, that range includes your 140F. a rep or two has suggested the same thing (without the specific temp #). but i dont have any data nor any back to back comparisons, just experience and feelings.

6. TheScarpino

TheScarpino Well-Known Member

Yes... already eye balling the evo dot's.
    Wonder if trackside will be less or more expensive than online sales that offer free shipping?

I know that trackside will mount for free...... but I typically pay 40 for a set to be mounted.

May be tick for tack at that point...

But Cost comparison is pretty big for me... as we all know that this hobby/ sport is more costly than being a herion addict.

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Your trackside tire vendor should be able to answer questions your UPS guy can't.

8. TheScarpino

I'm pretty sure the Trackside vendor will still answer questions if I dont purchase from him. Hahahaahahah

9. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Not sure if I'm missing the joke or your point, but the general idea is to support those guys, and they'll support you.

10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You're right. We do. And we will. We all load up our trailers with tens of thousands of dollars in inventory and then drive long hours after working in the shop all day to the track in our trucks and trailers with our tire machines and set up at 7am to service track days and race weekends and support racers and do the best job we can because if we don't, even if you bought tires online to save $8, and want to ask us questions we've spent (tens of) thousands of dollars and unlimited hours learning the answers to, we'll tell you. Because we want to help you. That's why we do this job.

Because if I told you that because you bought your tires online instead of from me at the track, I wasn't telling you anything, you'd tell everyone I was an asshole. Maybe you'd be right. Maybe I would be an asshole if I told you that. Maybe you're right. Maybe you should get your tires online. Send an online store, that doesn't spend the time and money knowing their product inside and out, your hard earned money. And then ask us for help.

And then post up on the WERA BBS and laugh in our faces. Thanks for your support.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  11. MELK-MAN

the politically correct answer is posted above by MDM, the "not-so" pc answer is.. that is kind of a dick move. ;)

Boman Forklift and pscook like this.
  12. TheScarpino

Man....tough crowd.....

Seems no one can take sarcasim anymore.

Thanks for the help guys.

mpusch and MELK-MAN like this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm a pretty frugal dude at times. I always buy my tires at the track. I've found the prices are usually very good.

If you are doing this for awhile, you really want to support these guys and they will support you. The Pirelli guys on the west coast ,CT Racing, were so cool they would even flip your tires for free and encouraged it.

MELK-MAN and TheScarpino like this.
  14. stangmx13

u forgot to use the sarcasm font, haha.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. TheScarpino

Yup...quickly noticed that.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

kind of off topic, but can you run a EVO slick front with the EVO dot rear? Did you kind of hint on it in a earlier post MELK-Man?

17. MELK-MAN

all day, every day, and twice on Sunday... :)

daveknievel likes this.
  18. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

cool. thanks.

MELK-MAN likes this.