1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets talk street gear

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, Apr 26, 2017.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Aerostitch suit most of the time. Zips right up over whatever I'm wearing be it a suit or shorts and a t-shirt. Vents good and makes a decent sleeping bag in a pinch. If I'm just running down the street it's leather jacket helmet gloves jeans and boots.

418 likes this.
  2. 418

418 Expert #59

Good friend of mine put 120K miles on a R6 wearing full leathers. AGATT. Really no excuses. As somebody said, not sure why people think because it's the street it somehow reflects the need for less gear.

As far as hoodies, yeah, squidtatic bruh.

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Typical riding gear, circa 1982:D

[​IMG]

Sweatypants and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  4. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

"relaxing" ride in the country.

Joe Rocket 5.0 Speedmaster perf leather pants. With Forcefield upgraded hip armor.
    Alpinestars SM-X Plus Gore-tex boots
    Firstgear Kenya jacket, wearing a Joe Rocket branded Forcefield back protector under it.
    Knox Handroid (full gauntlet)
    Shoei Rf1200

Pretty much the same thing I sport tour in.

5. splyn

splyn Well-Known Member

ive got mixed feelings about road gear. the biggest danger i see is NOT road rash or a bruise, but rather hitting solid objects. that being said, full leathers are overkill. a decent set of textile gear with good venting and well placed armor will keep you more comfortable and reasonably safe. i expect any knee or elbow pads of street gear to move out of the way with the first impact, a jacket and pants to survive with a few small holes being worn through, but not shredded. everything else is left over form my racing/track days (2yr old and life caused my racing/track pause).

badmoon692008 likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Interpreting the question more liberally, riding to work and/or riding down the street, jeans and a jacket seem acceptable depending on the roads.
    Around here, if you're going somewhere, the roads are clean enough w/o some sinister DOT hairpin thrown in...it's small town stop-n-go. If you're going nowhere, out in the boonies to stretch your bike's legs, there's all manner of sinister circumstances to manage and fully armored is the way to defend yourself.
    If I were commuting to work, I'd have an Aerostitch.
    Already have the textile/leather Joe Rocket with shoulder/elbow/soft back protector padding for the trip to bike night (like I frequent those shit shows :rolleyes:) or simple errand running (not grocery shopping).
    I still feel vulnerable but, hell, I freak out if I ride to the mailbox w/o a helmet. :D

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  7. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i won't knock a dude for gear or no gear, everyone's personal safety gauge is their own to hold... i'm always just amazed at the idea that people think normal jeans will do anything more than sweatpants will at any reasonable speed. either way though. like has been said above... my real concern on the street is sliding into something sharp like a tree/guardrail/sign post that won't move, in which case none of that gear will help much there either. knew a dude who went out like that once RIP, guardrail on a highway exit cut clean thru both his legs and he didn't stand a chance. knew another dude who always went out in full leathers and couldn't save him either from succumbing to massive internal injuries that took him away in a wreck commuting to college one morning. whatever gives everyone piece of mind though and allows you to feel more comfortable and be able to concentrate. the last few years of my street riding had consisted of mostly inner city stop and go nonsense, so for that its a non-issue... back roads? yea, precautions seem a tad more warranted.

i'll just say this... my mountain bike has hurt me WAY more than any motorbike ever has. puts some perspective on it a little.

8. 418

418 Expert #59

Yeah, before this discussion gets out of hand as far as AGATT, having full gear guarantees you nothing. Shit happens. But I'd rather not deal with road rash on top of broken bones.

As far as proper street commuting I think aerostich is where it's at.

9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

After 10 straight years of daily commuting, I regret not spending the money on an Aerostich. I have spent as much on three (or four, I've lost track) jackets as I would have spent on one Aerostich suit, and I would likely be money ahead. Regardless of what you buy: buy quality, buy once, and make sure it fits.

10. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I probably go overboard unless on my scooter-

Minimum: Kevlar or similar lined pants, motorcycle-specific armored jacket with upgrade insert back protector, boots, race quality gloves and helmet.
    Typical: Rev'it Gear 2 leather hybrid or Vanson leather pants with Knox armored shorts, Vanson or A-Stars armored jacket, race CE2 separate back protector, race boots, race quality gloves and helmet.
    Backroads: Full race gear and even air vest

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

:stupid: and I would go as far as saying I'd rather deal with a minor bone break than major road rash.

skidooboy likes this.
  12. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

2 piece, zip together, Joe-Rocket textiles, back protector.
    Full gloves & race boots.

I've also gone street riding in full leathers/race gear.
    For me: ATGATT as that mitigates a lot of road rash and abrasion stuff. As it was stated above, Road Rash + Broken Bones = PITA.