1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering damper for RC390

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by stangmx13, Mar 30, 2017.

1. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Posting this for a friend

Does WERA require steering dampers for the KTM RC390?

I know the rulebook says mandatory for all bikes. Availability is very limited for this bike. Also, I've heard that MotoAmerica doesn't allow them on their Cup bikes. So what's the dealing?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. MA doesn't require them - they do allow them. And as much as people think small bikes don't have tank slappers they do and there's no reason not to mount one.

3. stangmx13

thnx Sean. ill pass the info along. hopefully he can get one before next weekend.

4. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Gpr makes a nice one, contac Chad wells at commonwealth motor sports Louisville he usuallymstocks them

5. stangmx13

hes running the Driven top triple, so the GPR wont work for him. Formula390 makes a setup, but it only works w/ the Tyga triple without having to grind it. hes got some decisions to make.

6. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

A fork clamp, a GSXR damper from ebay, and a simple bracket. Easy.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

People have gotten way too used to just buying kits. It's ridiculously easy to mount a damper, just need a fork clamp of the right diameter and then a clamp for the other end that can go to fairing brackets or anywhere really.

8. stangmx13

Easy bolt on kits remove a barrier for entry into the sport. Some ppl aren't able or willing to fabricate. I don't c that as a bad thing.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I never said kits are a bad thing.

However, if you're going to go racing, basic skills and working on your own machine is a good thing too.

10. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

If someone with a reputable brand name has done the research, engineering, and design I am comfortable paying more for their intellectuall capital. Chances are they are a better engineer than me.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't disagree but still - it's easy to do yourself.

12. redciv1

redciv1 Well-Known Member

I am at the same point. Getting ready to take Bargy's school next week and then Summer Jam. I bought the kit but finding a place on EX500 is crazy.

13. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

For an EX, one way to do it is to bolt the damper body clamp to the gas tank bracket (need to remove the tank). The other end goes to the clamp on the fork tube. Let me know if a picture would help.

14. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever seen anything but dampers sold specifically for each bike. Most retailers make you plug in your model in order to add it to your cart. What brand of dampers can I get a set of clamps for? or, how do you go about finding the right parts?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Other than my Scotts rotary dampers I've never bought a kit. Just got a fork leg clamp of the proper diameter, a damper like this https://www.ridersdiscount.com/ohlins-steering-damper-universal-63mm-length-174375 (although not Ohlins because I was too cheap), and then sort out some method to mount to the frame or my favorite across the nose inside the fairing to the fairing bracket mounts (depending on the bike of course) since that helped protect it in a crash.

16. redciv1

Hey JBall. A pic would definitely help I see the two bolts that hold the tank front stopper mount but wasn't able to come up with anything. Pic would defintely work.

17. JBall

18. JBall

Mine has Honda forks and the steering is cut down quite a bit. On a stock EX front end you might have to build up the stops on the triples so the damper is not the limiting part.

19. redciv1

Very nice J. Now I see. I have stock forks. Thanks