1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing a wiring harness connector

Discussion in 'Tech' started by edshank, Apr 13, 2017.

1. edshank

edshank Active Member

I made a dumb mistake and shorted the bottom of my ZX6R gas tank against the starter relay. Lots of smoke and melted plastic ensued. The connector for the fuel pump as well as the female side is toast. I'm looking at my options to replace the connector. It has to be solid and reliable since this is probably the most used connector on the bike. I've been looking around the interwebz and the automotive connector suppliers sites are confusing. I'm not eager to spend a lot of money on a crimping tool that I will use once. Anyone have any suggestions on what to replace this 3 pin connector with or where I could go for replacement connectors? Should I just use three bullet connectors?

2. http://connectorexperts.com

I use this place often. You can submit a picture of what you need and they'll send you a connector. I believe they have pig tail options as well. They aren't exactly cheap but definitely worth the money to get the right part the first time.

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

if the wires arent too fried, maybe u could release the pins from the connector and just replace the plastic connector. that way u dont need to re-crimp.

4. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

You can also get these via McMaster.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#dc-voltage-connectors/=176iz3p
    Scroll down to the weather-pack section "Weatherproof Low-Voltage DC Connector Sets". Pick the wire count and then the size wire, should come with everything you need. McMaster ships pretty fast.

Technically these pins need special crimpers, but honestly I've done a TON of these type without it, crimp and solder, with no issues. The only special tool I use for these are the pin extraction tool... for $3 it might be worth getting too. Most of these connector types use the same diameter pin, so you can likely find a use for it in the future when doing any other wiring harness work.

5. MotoGP1199

MotoGP1199 Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I do. Just crimp and solder. Its solid and reliable. I also only buy the release pin and purchase through McMaster.

6. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Try cycle terminals as well

7. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

8. bigkaley

bigkaley Well-Known Member

Cheap wiring harness from Ebay off same year bike... then cut/ splice/ solder connector and wiring

9. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Where are you located? I have a bunch of connectors and access to the right crimpers. I just had to replace the connector on my fuel pump after I yanked one of the wires out by accident and ruined the terminal. Didn't replace with the same connector, but as long as it has the same number of pins it shouldn't cause issues, you just need to redo both sides.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Like others have said, removal tool and then just crimp and solder. Delcity.net is also a great option.

11. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

You can usually find pre-made harness plugs that use the weather pack style connectors at most decent automotive stores too.
    They're usually pre made with about 12" or so of wiring pigtail, and you just solder or crimp onto your existing wires. Most expensive option but pretty convenient.
    I've only ever seen the 3 or 4 conductor plugs but that works for most applications.

12. edshank

edshank Active Member

Thanks for all the replies. I tried the local Advance and was surprised to not find any pigtails at all. I ended up buying a Deutch connector kit from Wirecare.com. I'll let you all know how it went.

13. edshank

edshank Active Member

I am in Northern NJ.

14. edshank

edshank Active Member

Replaced the connector and the melted wiring and everything seems good. The Deutch connectors are good quality and easy to work with. Now back to troubleshooting the problem I was working on when I shorted everything out. I will start another thread in that one. Thanks for the replies.

badmoon692008 likes this.