1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charlotte flat track?

Discussion in 'General' started by gt#179, Apr 3, 2017.

1. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I was able to go to the Daytona and Atlanta flat track races. I hadn't been to one in the past and really enjoyed the racing. Great close racing and a good event overall. After seeing the events in person, it was looking like they were on the right track to making some gains in getting people interested in flat track racing in the US.

I saw that one rider (Jamison Minor) was injured and succumbed to his injuries from Saturday night. Evidently he was hit after falling down and there was a pile up of bikes/riders. I know they are adding in additional safety gear for the riders (leather suits for the twins class and leather gloves for all riders I think), but curious if there is more that could be done or if it's just the nature of the style of riding (no front brakes, high speed, sliding around on a circle track)? I know in ATL one guy hit the wall which luckily had air fence, so that was good.

Also saw that Brad Baker finished well outside the top 5 or 10. Anyone know what happened to his night? Indian went 1 and 2 again. Looks like the XG750 has a bit of development still to be done.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Getting hit by another bike is always going to be a huge danger - for any form of racing. The overwhelming majority of our deaths are from the rider being hit by their own bike, other bikes, or hitting the ground. Better gear does help the last one but nothing will ever totally prevent the first two unless we can find some sort of sold armor that is flexible too - but that's sci fi stuff at this point.

3. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

True. It's tragic about the Jamison, especially in conjunction with loosing two last year. As they say, if you can tell me how you are going to crash, we can tell you how to protect it. But lots of variables when it comes to crashing on a bike. Safety gear is getting better but the bikes are getting faster and the limits are being pushed harder.

4. Mike Dillon

Mike Dillon Well-Known Member

Baker had a mechanical. Pulled to the infield.

5. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

6. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

My company puts includes an "About US" section at the end of any press release. It's the same on every release, regardless of the content or to whom it's sent.

RRW prints press releases exactly as they receive them.

What's your problem?

stk0308 likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Standard stuff in a press release that goes to all media outlets. Not a big deal.

8. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

It just sucks the kid lost his life and at the end of the article they put their own little advertisement in there. I don't know... it just struck me as not right. Pisses me off another young kid lost his life.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I get it but it's a press release thing not an ad. Don't take it that way.