Cheap fuel pump to drain tank

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Mar 31, 2017.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Need some ideas... Dump can fitting makes it impossible to get my regular pump in the tank to remove race fuel. Was thinking of using an old fuel pump with clear fuel line.

Thoughts on sourcing a cheap pump?

2. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

Length of clear (or any color) fuel line, siphon it out. If you don't want to suck on the end of the hose to start it, use an air hose with a rag around it to pressurize the tank to get it started.

3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I've heard of some folks creating a t-valve on the fuel line and wiring a 12v switch to the stock pump so they can use it to pump out any remaining gas at the end of the day?

Not sure if something like that would pass tech with some orgs?

Phl218 likes this.
  4. Use a siphon. Then use the fuel you took out to set your computer on fire.

5. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Old fish tank pump......toss it after. You can drop the hose in and tape it off and back fill and swish the shit out works PISSAH

6. Mikey Likes it

Mikey Likes it Active Member

Bought a $3 dollar siphon at the auto parts store with a starter bulb on it. Zip tied it to a piece of 3/8 " wood dowel to get it into the lowest corner of the tank.

notbostrom likes this.
  7. notbostrom

Found a cheap pump on Amazon for 10 bucks. We'll see how it does

8. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

9. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

have a bung welded to bottom of the tank at the low point as it sits on the bike, attach fuel line with a quick disconnect. It gets nearly every drop of fuel out, AND you can use the drain line that you connect to this as a fuel gauge (connect and hold upright, and it shows fuel level in tank)

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Rattle Siphon....

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've never had a problem with the cheap ol' jiggle hose :D

[​IMG]

Shenanigans, JBraun and TLR67 like this.
  13. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Bung with disconnect works great as Greg said.

If you have air pressure , put hose in tank, snip small hole in other end a few inches from end, and use air pressure to start siphon; works great.

14. notbostrom

15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Or you can notch the end of the siphon hose about an inch from the end and put your blow gun nozzle in that and spray away, the vacuum generated from the fast moving air out of the hose will draw the fuel up.

cav115 and busa99 like this.
  16. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Ive used a universal electronic fuel pump from a local auto parts store. Hook it to a battery and let it pump out into a gas can. Used same pump to drain my boat's gas tank too.

17. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Ha.

That`s what I was trying to convey..

18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

No you're right, I read your post and just thought something totally different I dunno why. We said the same exact thing I just cant read or had my mind on something else.

cav115 likes this.
  19. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I bought some small diameter copper pipe, attached a marine pump bulb and some hose. Works great

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I've never tried this, but am interested. Does it still continue to drain, once the fuel level gets below the notch? Is the notch so small, it somewhat seals up and continues to allow the siphon to work?