1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rental car insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yes or no. Wife's going to be renting a car in MO. for 4 days early in May for youngest daughters college graduation. We've never rented one before, don't know if she should get it or not. I said let me ask the beeb.
    It's $10 / day so it's no big deal, just wondering if it's just another way to suck a little more out of the customer.

2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Call your car insurer. Pretty sure it's covered by the liability piece of your policy. Though that may vary by state, idk.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

$10? That doesnt sound right... usually its like $25/day for their coverage. But as mpusch said... your own insurance and credit card should cover that. Rental car companies make a TON of money from over insuring.
    Just do a walk around and indicate any damage before taking possession.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that if your insurance does cover it (most do) then it is a hit to your coverage as if you wrecked your own car. With their coverage, if you wrecked it, you can basically just walk away.

Johnny B likes this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I take it when I'm headed to an area where I expect the car to get smashed in to just to keep it easy. The other 90% of the time I just use my Amex and their coverage.

TurboBlew, 418 and omatter34 like this.
  6. 418

418 Expert #59

I think Discover offers $10K of coverage too?

7. PitMonster

PitMonster Active Member

As an agent of State Farm, I would say call your agent. Each state can have different roles and regulations. I know our policies in Indiana, your auto coverage extends to whatever vehicle you are diving in the USA, Canada, and US territories. The bigger thing you have to worry about is "loss of use". That is were they can charge you for the down time of their vehicle. So, call your agent.

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Take lots of pictures.

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Well between the time I posted and got back here she'd already decided on her flights and done everything, she bought it so she's well covered.
    Thanks for the pictures reminder, I'll remind her again when she goes.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If you call your agent and decide you don't need it, she can deny the coverage when picking up the car. I've been renting cars since 85 and haven't bought it, covered personally and on some credit cards.

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Might but I'm not much on what perks they offer anymore so I don't know.

12. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

I've used the credit card coverage and had to claim a couple of times, in my experience it works, but you have to pay for the entire rental with the card.

13. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Credit Card rental insurance is usually secondary to your regular car insurance. Check your CC policy.

14. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Yes! My BIL used to work at Enterprise....their policy, st least at the time he worked there, you could total the car and not pay a dime more if you had the extra insurance. And yes, he had some people actually total cars.

15. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Also make sure your insurance will cover the rental fees accrued during any repairs. One of the little boxes you initial was that they can collect full rental rate for the entire time the vehicle is unavailable due to damage. That can add up fast.

16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Rule 1. Ensure that any accident results in a total. This may require a second accident.

zertrider likes this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

kind of a work around is to pay the monthly rate as its about 1/3 or better than the daily rate, IF you don't have insurance. :D
    Usually by extending your rental period.
    What floors me is that our local enterprise has customers that actually do monthly rentals... for 3-4 months at a clip.

18. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

I very seldom rent a car. Last time I did, I was in Mexico. Payed for ALL the insurance I could get.