1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 pole times

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Mar 21, 2017.

1. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

The left side of the tire is Daytona specific. The right side, there were other options - an "SC0" option as one of them.

It's just not a typical "SC0" rear. Just to clarify for people reading.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  2. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

That was my thought. SBK's may be badazz & all, but it aint spinning up on the banking at speed badazz!

Maybe if it had a turbo diesel powering it! :D

3. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

back on the old pavement coming thru nascar 3 and 4 on a superbike ... yup back wheel was spinning searching for traction ... Troy corser used to smoke the front on the brakes going into 1 and the chicane

G 97 likes this.
  4. G 97

G 97 Garth

The top AMA SBK back in the day would be spinning their tires on the banking.

5. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that. I must have been confused.

6. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Flat out through high banks of Nascar 3 & 4, as Steeltoe mentioned? To the point of "smoking" the tire? I can understand as they are/were accelerating onto the banking, but at speed, really?

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yes, really.

418 likes this.
  8. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

I've been on stock 1000s that spin up on test tracks with steeper banking than Daytona. It's kind of neat seeing the black marks build up throughout the day.

9. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

It wasn't like the old banking was a sheet of glass , that place beat the crap out of you ( that was on the 250 , maybe 150-155 max top speed) ... Wouldn't want to know what it was like doing 190 + around there !

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yep. If you listened carefully and were in the right position you could even here the motors go back and forth from spinning up then back then spin up etc as the tire would spin loose then regain traction then spin up etc in a cycle.

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

is the standard sc0 a single compound edge to edge? or harder middle, but SAME softer compound on both sides?
    cause i'm pretty sure as you said, that was not what they used.. the right edge had a little softer compound than left edge (if not mistaken). at least that was what i used on Sunday :)

12. Woodsrider

Woodsrider Well-Known Member

Wait r u saying u raced on a pirelli at Daytona

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. MELK-MAN

hearsay.... ?
    :)

https://www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1/posts/10212243704790394?pnref=story
    it would have been rude to say no wouldn't it ?
    Michelin has an outstanding tire today, so good in fact, i have never won so many club races in a year, as this past season.
    However as we know, Daytona is a unique place, and if you roll around this facility at a reasonably rapid pace, standard race tires won't can have issues. Especially as track temps rise. For those doing 1:57's or above? no issues with Michelin tires. none. Even on 1000's from their standard, commercially available race tire. In the cool mornings? I never have issues, and they work great at daytona before the sun gets high in the sky and track temps shoot up..

But by late morning, early afternoon, and get laptimes down to 54's, 53's, 51's, and the just left of center boils, and small pieces come off from the outer grip layer. (i'm a layman on tire construction, excuse my terminology). ESPECIALLY after the DIS repave (more grip around the banking.. more forces into the tire, where it spun more before).
    Pirelli and Dunlop have Daytona tires.. and has for a few years. Prior to this though, ALL tires were having issues in recent years.

So yea, after going fast, but having 6 rears have minor issues (as has occurred every time i'm there for years now), a decision was made by me and my Michelin guys that in the essence of safety, i run another rear brand. Barney stepped up and it made my decision easier on which other to run. Come October, when I (hope) return, i will use pirelli rears. You couldn't pay me to use anything other than the michelin EVO front though..

thread de-rail ?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    deepsxepa likes this.
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

No, that's not what I said.

You guys might not remember when we had real Superbikes in AMA. All of the top bikes spun the rear around the banking.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    stk0308 and Banditracer like this.
  15. MELK-MAN

data showed rear wheels spinning WAYY faster than fronts.. not just on banking, but down straight toward and through the tri oval. I'm here to tell you, EVEN ON 600's, i could see the rear of the bike in front of me stepping the rear out down the hill out of nascar4 as you steer the bike onto the straight to the tri oval, and then see the bike go sideways a bit, laying a darkie, ALL the way through the tri oval . .. stellar :)

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Damn! I wish I could find that pic. Flat out on the banking rollin smoke, pinned. Fkn insane! There was an article along with it explaining how poor motorcycles are for aero. A bike and rider is basically a brick. Same today even with MotoGP the ecu's are constantly pulling power because wind resistance at speed is too much for the tire to overcome. So they spin. :D

TurboBlew and MELK-MAN like this.
  17. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

well, ya didnt write it either. lol and i did end that "miteabeen" with a question mark.

i remember dunlops expanding and rubbing on swingarms a bit and then popping too, IIRC thats why we no longer have 1000s running Daytona.

i remember a few popping at Rd. Atl. aswell and B. Livingoods last race because of it.

and seeing the dark black stripe right in the center of the rear tires on the fastest guys a lap prior to those pops and thinking what the hell that was.

18. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

first time I saw superbikes on the banking in the Ru$$ell era I was astonished at how much they were moving laterally at speed and inches from the wall. musta been 2 or 3 feet of lateral movement!

I thought to myself, these MFrs are crazy! lol

Ra.Ge. Raptor and MELK-MAN like this.
  19. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

Those were the old design that grew in size at higher speeds. The "NTEC" tire that replaced those no longer grew and stopped that issue. But teams used that growing as a advantage. Hayes mentioned once on the Erion 600 with the NTECS he lost the drive off of the corners due to having to run taller gearing for the straights. Before with the old tire, they could run an extra tooth on the sprocket and as the tire grew it would change the gearing so the bike wouldn't hit the rev limiter in the straights.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Look at you.. Trying to learn more about Pirelli.. Pretty soon you're going to be asking what pressures and compounds to run..

:D

ruckusracing, TurboBlew and MELK-MAN like this.