1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tubes and tires for SM

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Fencer, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Do you reuse tubes on a SM or do you replace at each tire change?

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Reuse.

Fencer likes this.
  3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Yup, same here. But check them very carefully if you are running a high-speed track (or highway) as they tend to get pretty hot (and then distort and chafe) at high speeds.

Fencer likes this.
  4. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

Fencer likes this.
  5. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

^
    That's very interesting.
    What bike do you use that on?

I wonder how low of pressures you could get away with?

6. daveknievel

690 ktm. street and track. on my 5th set of tires. i know a few guys using it for years. I have gone as low as 18 psi

Rising likes this.
  7. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

That is super cool tape. I wonder if I could get way with ditching tubes on XR100 wheels with 16 in BT45s. I run them as low as 15 lbs sometimes. Anyone try this?

8. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

How wide of tape do you use? Is one layer sufficient or do you go around a couple of times?

9. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I was thinking too.

10. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

11. daveknievel

3 inch on the rear, and you can use 2 inch on the front. Make sure the rim is super clean. One pass is all you need. Start at the valve stem, end at the stem. Kneed the tape as you go along to get the air bubbles out. I wouldn't use it on xr100 wheels. You need rims that have a bead lock.

Its nice for the street incase you get a flat. You can plug the tire and keep rolling.

12. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

XR100s actually have a bead lock. But why do you want one? Their job is to keep the tire from slipping on the rim and tearing the valve stem off the inner tube, but there would be no inner tube.
    And if you keep the bead lock how do you seal around it?

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I was thinking of doing a "ghetto" tubeless setup like on MTBs, etc. You cut up an old tube for the valve stem... then seal inside the spokes and beadlock hole. Pour a cup of sealant in... then bead the tire up.

14. daveknievel

I meant a rim that has a lip like a street rim so the bead stays on the rim.

Rising likes this.
  15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Maybe use a tube that is 1-2" smaller in diameter than the wheel? Like a 14" tube (cut open) on a 16" wheel? Maybe seal the spokes and rim lock holes, then use the Flex Tape, and then apply some slime?

16. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

17. daveknievel

that kit is triple of what the tape is, and does the same thing.

18. daveknievel

you can do 2 sets of wheels with a 50 ft roll.

Fencer and Phl218 like this.