1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top end rebuild advice

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Will9465, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Will9465

Will9465 Well-Known Member

I'm going to do a top end on my 150r next weekend probably. Any advice on things I should change along with it? I am going to stick with oem top end kit but I heard of changing the valves to stronger ones. Bike has 42 hours.

Thanks

2. kevinnolde

kevinnolde kandjracingsolutions.com

The valve wear is measured by stretch so I would check them first. In servicing the top end I change the piston and rings and send them to Millinium when they redo the plating, this is for sizing, we run a bit loose to compensate for heat in extended runs. check the tips of the forked rocker and the condition of the buckets because these get wear as well. Great engine design, love them.

3. Will9465

Alright. The bike is starting to smoke a tad, and I changed the spark plug a few hours ago and found it had some oil on it. It wasn't soaked in oil to cause alarm but it definitely was not dry.

4. kevinnolde

kevinnolde kandjracingsolutions.com

Check the condition of the valve guides. If the previous owner didn't service the air filter properly the grit going past can wear them out. New seals won't stop oil going by them unfortunately if the guides are loose.

5. Will9465

Will do