Reputable vs eBay

Discussion in 'Tech' started by TheScarpino, Mar 11, 2017.

1. TheScarpino

TheScarpino Well-Known Member

In the market for rearsets..

I know this has probably already been discussed 2,467 times....

Looking for opinions & experience.

Vortex for 300-360
    Can purchase replacement parts anywhere at anytime. Reputable company with a stong product line.

eBay for 100-130
    Its eBay... lol
    Can purchase an additional pair for parts and still have over a hundy left over.

Or
    Used Vortex (or similar) on eBay.
    Cost is about 200-250 and most need pegs, shifter and/or brake replaced.
    This isnt the option i want to go because after replacing the parts...it could be the same cost as new. (Depending on comdition)
    Just an option.

2. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

I bought a steering damper for my street bike off aliexpress for 40 bucks..an Ohlins is about 350 - 400 I think..I figured I would try the knockoffs, if it lasts a year I could get one every year for 10 years, ...it came..it was beautiful..it felt nice..the action was smooth..I installed it...I back the bike out of the garage, grab the bars and turn the wheel to opposite lock to head out and boink..the inner ring on the heim joint popped out of the enclosure...the possible outcomes of that are pretty frightening.. I took it off grabbed some JB weld and put a light coating on both surfaces..pressed it back in and let it sit for a day...it has held so far..but truth be told..its always on my mind when I am on that bike..I am going to get the Ohlins

3. Pure Sportbikes

Pure Sportbikes www.puresportbikes.com

Not Ebay chinese parts...do you really want your shifter snapping off while you're backing it into a corner? I've witnessed crashes like this first hand.

Buy some new Vortex or Woodcraft that crash well, can be heated, bent back into shape, with individual replacement parts likely available from a trackside vendor. Use contingency and get some discounts. Spend the extra $200 and save your bike and your body!

4. TheScarpino

Thanks guys!

Was already leaning on Vortex....

But wanted a second opinion.

5. Fuck no to eBay parts. The brake levers love to lock the front brakes up because it pushes the pins out of alignment. Rode a customers bike one day, came back into the drive and did a REALLY big endo. I stepped on another customers bike with eBay rear sets and snapped the left foot peg off.

TheScarpino likes this.
  6. TheScarpino

Alright... I have a opertunity to by a set of used Vortex RS510K at about half priced as new.

Its missing the knuckle that the shift rod connects to, hardware and shift rod.

I know I'm going to need a custom shift rod for my current set up, but where can I source the knuckle (if thats what its called) and hardware.

When I go to Vortex's website and click rearsets.... there is not an option for parts.

Am I missing something?

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

There's an exploded parts diagram available for every rearset on their site. Or just call them and tell them what you have and what you need.

And don't buy knockoff shit. Seriously. Just don't. I honestly don't understand how someone will trade the confidence and security of a known, established and proven brand for the sake of a few dollars. Motorcycle racing is hard
    and it costs money. Don't make it harder.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So... I just put some Chinese crap into my project 2003 R6. First was a $30 front fairing stay. It's a simple aluminum casting, Yamaha wants $260 for it. The replacement is basically throw away money, I'll stock up on two or three for the inevetiable crash damage to come at that price. Item #2 was a $16 fuel pump rebuild kit, that vs a $500+ OEM pump assembly. Took me 15 minutes to swap in, easy. If it doesn't hold up, I'll bite the bullet and buy OEM.

On dampers or rearsets or other bits where the price for failure is a bit higher, I'm going to do research before I buy based on price alone. For example my FZR currently has eBay rearsets on it, but they're from the UK not China, and I spoke to the gentleman producing them prior to purchase. They aren't as aggressive in rider position as what came on the bike, still dunno who made those but may get someone to replicate them someday... but they are more aggressive than Woodcraft which is why I went that route.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

TheScarpino likes this.
  10. TheScarpino

11. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Call them, it's separate and I'm sure they sell it. It's a rod end but easier to get the correct one and correct hardware straight from them.

12. They sell almost everything separately. Call them they're easy to deal with just don't send 3 emails and then well..

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Ive purchased that part before for another bike. Was less than $15 shipped. I just looked at my own 06... and it is a beveled allen with a lock nut on the back.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Why source it from anyone other than the people who supply the part and provided you with the parts diagram?

Boman Forklift likes this.