1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better glass?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Algonquin, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Algonquin

Algonquin VRRA and DOCC no.92

125 bodywork in particular needs to be light and reasonably strong for obvious reasons so who are the leading producers of race quality bodywork for 2T GP bikes these days? I have 125 fairings here that are cobbled-up clunkers compared to the set from Magical that are superb though just conventional GRP no carbon. What is or was Magical?

Thanks,

FM

2. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

I do have a big boy upper and lower in pre-peg carbon ,used but in great shape ... stuff weighs pretty much nothing

3. Sullivan

Sullivan Active Member

I just mounted a set 2004 - 2009 of FPE body work that came pre-drilled. Best fitting bodywork I have ever installed. It also seems like it will hold up well in a crash. Whole set weighs around 12 lbs. I looked into 3 manufacturers and these met my needs the best. They are not the cheapest but very worth the extra $100. My 2 cents.

4. knedragon29

12 lbs ? a whole 125 weighs in around that much ... lol

5. Sullivan

Sullivan Active Member

The beasley stuff I took off of it weighed 15lbs.

6. Algonquin

I just weighed the Magical fairing set so that's top, bottom and dzus fasteners, screen the whole thing weighs 1.8 kg. I checked this a couple times considering the weights mentioned. This does include the bungee used to loop the top and bottom for the weighing operation. So that's like just a hair under 4 lbs. Does everyone else weigh the seat and mud guards too, all in??

7. Sullivan

Sullivan Active Member

That makes me think someone hit the tare on my shop scale and I wasn't paying attention. I have bodywork from 3 or 4 manufacturers sitting around. I will try and get the weight on them in the next few days.

8. knedragon29

magical was good stuff back in 95-97 ish ... only ones who really had a airbox setup, from what I remember it was a pia to remove because of the side snorkels.Everyone went to the over the rad style boxes and they are way easier to deal with
    And 15 lbs sounds a lot for 125 stuff even if it was glass,thats a whole set like tail,upper,screen,lower,mud guard(fender)?

9. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Sebimoto glass,kevlar or carbon depending on budget.
    Yoyodyne has it. DCP00782.JPG

10. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

If I read the question right......

Magical Racing is in Japan and they build some truly amazing bikes. As far as their bodywork goes, get ready for sticker shock. BUT.... you get what you pay for.

11. peter leduc

peter leduc Agaperacing.com

Sebimoto stuff is very inexpensive and light. It's not crush duty stuff, it's race stuff. You can order it direct from their website and save money over yoyodyne prices/markup. That said, if they have what you need in stock it will take less time.

Beasley stuff is good, other than that you'll be hard pressed to find someone who has it in stock. It's mostly made to order now that the volume of orders has gone away. Air tech comes to mind as well but his stuff is heavier.

My .02 worth

12. knedragon29

The big boy Pre-Peg Carbon stuff I have , upper/lower/screen/dzus and fasteners with the nylon plugs ... right about 3 lbs

13. Sullivan

Sullivan Active Member

I just weighed a 95-97 beasley body kit including all fasteners (dzus clips and nylon mounts not stand offs), upper, lower, tail, and windscreen. Total weight was 8.85lbs. I will weigh my FPE kit when I get a chance as it is mounted on the bike and buried in the garage.

14. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I have Beasley, Sebimoto (glass) and Sharkskinz (pre-04). Hands down the Sharkskinz is the lightest and holds up best in crashes, but also most expensive. However, if they had -04 style BW I wouldn't have to buy the other junk.

15. Algonquin

I had full intent to try the Sebimoto stuff but dietrly gives that the thumbs-down. I guess Sharkskinz is fine if crashing is removed from the equation which I like. Using $CAD to pay for anything is the greater difficulty.

16. Algonquin

17. Algonquin

Glass on the NX4 is wonky and full of hard-earned character. Tail is new and these newer type seats are good. Thinking an airbox might be better than worries about aesthetics.

18. knedragon29

I have a Jha over the rad box