1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBR600RR random misfiring

Discussion in 'Tech' started by SVbadguy, Feb 28, 2017.

1. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

'07

Can start it up and ride to work with running perfectly normal. Start it up leaving work and it will be running crappy at say 5k rpm and the idle may be screwy. Other times it doesn't want to run past 10k. Or it with totally random misfires throughout the rev range. Cycle the ignition and then it begins running screwed up at some other rpm. If I keep cycling the ignition and restarting eventually it gets to running right again.

Where do I need to be checking?

2. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

Maybe bad gas?

If not, them if you have any type of fuel management system maybe going off.... maybe new spark plugs are needed.

3. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Power commander going bad ? My 02 gsxr ran great..then on my first trackday I had a mild off track excursion..was a very bumpy ride..almost motocross style.. immediately after that it started acting weird..no power..rough idle..sometimes it didn't start sometimes it did..I changed plugs..same issues..I drained fuel and put new fuel in..same problem...swapped out fuel pump still same..disconnected the power commander and angels sang...

4. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Id second this.

5. ninjabros

ninjabros Well-Known Member

This. I have a friend with an older r6 that ran fine before winter then in spring would crank and everything but not start. Disconnected the powercommander and started with no issue. Was a PC3 but have heard that PC5 can go bad as well.

6. SVbadguy

I think I figured it out to be the wire tap connection for the power to the Bazzaz. Jiggling it while it was running would affect how it ran. So I soldered that connection and everything seemed to be working fine. Fired it up once each of the next two days to check on it and it was still good. But this morning I hopped on to go to work and it would just crank over (very strong and fast). Fuel pump primes and nothing funny on the dash. No hint of a spark.

Damn this bike.

7. bigkaley

bigkaley Well-Known Member

There's 2 T-taps for the Bazzaz on the 600RR: one is the Switched Power in the tail section that connects to the White/ Black wire of the red Diagnostic port, the other is the Neutral Detector that taps into the single wire connector on top of the engine case just above the front sprocket.
    Forget the T-taps and solder both connections.

8. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

+ 1 On that.... I just did this 2 weeks ago because the connector by red diagnostic port was way loose...

9. liquid_iq

liquid_iq Well-Known Member

On the CBR 1k forums there have been tons of issues with the kill switches. I don't know if it applies to the 600's also but might be something worth checking.

10. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Forgot about that. That's been an issue on all Honda 600's from at least the F4i days on. Solder connection inside comes apart.

11. vasser67

vasser67 Well-Known Member

Ours had the cam position sensor intermittent causing us issues

12. SVbadguy

I took the Bazzaz off and it's running fine, well like it used to anyways. I'm once again reminded of why I have the Bazzaz. Abrupt throttle response and too much engine braking.

I'll probably send the module to them to check it.