1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brembo 19x18 help

Discussion in 'Tech' started by flyingpig70, Feb 24, 2017.

1. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

Over the winter 2 of 3 of my 19x18's have quit working. I can't get them to hold pressure anymore. Only one will hold pressure after being bled, is there something I am missing? I tried them all on the same bike with the same lines and calipers, new crush washers too. Thanks for any help.

2. bigkaley

bigkaley Well-Known Member

Disassemble, clean, inspect and then reassemble them. They come apart like any other master cylinder. Check the bleeder screws and where they thread also.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I remember Fred at Yoyodyne telling me that these things actually have a lifespan on them. That after so many years (less that most of us probably use them) they should be replaced. I'm pretty sure he said replaced not rebuilt.

4. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

I did take them apart, and cleaned them afterwards, I thought I had read somewhere about some weep hole or something that I am missing, with my old eyes. They are going to the shop to see if they can fix them, if not, I will just replace them. Thanks

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It did seem odd to me as I didn't think they would be considered a wear item, I but I guess everything is at some point in racing lol. I mean I never heard of OEM master cylinders just wearing out and needing to be completely replaced. He did mention that their rotors also wear out over time, and not the steel friction area but after so much use apparently slop develops between the aluminum carriers and the steel area and they become too loose, even with brand new floating buttons which I have bore witness to.

6. bigkaley

Also, look closely at the seal where the reservoir port is located. It can crack/ dry-rot.

7. bigkaley

I have 2 sets of Brembo rotors and 1 definitely has more "play" in the carrier from use compared to the other.
    I guess it's possible the seals can slightly wear the master cylinder bore, especially on the cast 19x18 vs the billet

8. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

just get the rebuild kits from yoyodyne or i think kurveygirl has them. they will work fine after that.

9. bigkaley

Those are not rebuild kits, just crash repair kits. Rebuild kits are not sold to the public.

flyingpig70 likes this.
  10. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I thought TAW Performance had rebuild parts for these.