1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets talk shop floors

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Poo Poo Pants III, Feb 20, 2017.

1. :( I got nothin.

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Clean it well.....and use a couple of the kits from either lowes or home depot.

I didn't use the "speckles" cuz I wanted to see bolts, nuts, etc on the floor and didn't want the confusing pattern....pure function.

I also just threw in handfuls of sand for some grit.

Anything is better than nothing.....don't overthink it.....unless of course its a showroom and not really a shop.

My first app lasted almost 10 years, then I redid the worn spots.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

These guys are local to me and I've used their equipment and chemicals.

http://www.werkmaster.com/

they rent the machines at home depot as well, it's about a billion times better than diamabrush.

4. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Get on there emailing list. They send emails when they are going to have a sale. Like presidents day they had one, black Friday, ect. Also search on craigslist. I got lucky as I had a good friend getting rid of his. He used it in his shop for 10 years and sold it to me for pretty cheap. I had a 4 car garge and used all of it that he had. Worked out perfect as you can see. Also go tho there web site as they have different styles of flooring. Free floe, coin, different colors blah blah blah. Also you can design your floor plan on there website and get an exact cost. Another bonus is, its made in the USA.

5. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

For the guys with racedeck, how well does it hold up to floor jack and jack stand use?

And what about clean up of fuel, oil, or coolant spills? I would think fluids would be seeping around all the edges.

Looking like I'll be doing another floor or two in the near future, and I'm leaning toward
    a polyurea type product. I did a previous floor with Ucoat-It do it yourself stuff and it held
    up well for over 10 years but I want something better.

I like the idea of a polished concrete floor but I just don't like the look.
    With the correct concrete mix it can look awesome but just polishing what is typically
    thrown into a garage floor it just doesn't look all that good.

If I'm putting in the effort I want a good result.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I checked out their site. No real mention of psi but they did mention supporting a rolling 80,000 lbs. Not really an answer but, either way, I'd at least put a protective layer of something (plywood?) under jackstands just to keep the legs from diggin' in, even on a nice concrete floor.

They say the flooring isn't vulnerable to our usual assortment of petro-chemicals (acetone might be another story) but I, too, had questions about liquids seeping through the seams. I guess as long as I don't spill gallons of low viscosity stuff (thinners, gasoline, etc.), I think a wet/dry vac should take care of residual liquids between the tiles. Whatever makes it's way through to the floor, well, the floor underneath is likely already unsightly so the concern isn't fuckin' up that layer. Air can circulate beneath the tiles taking care of evaporation, etc. Besides, how often do we really spill large quantities of anything and, if we did, the floor might be the last thing I'm concerned about depending on what I spilled.

The one thing that comes to mind as a possible disqualifier is static discharging. I'd really hate to be workin' on some flammable soaked something or other and have an unwanted ignition, or zap some sensitive electronic component. Consider dragging a plastic tote across the floor, or a carpet remnant, etc. If those don't present an issue, I guess there may not be one at all. As accidents go, how about spilling gas and then having a static discharge...seems like the most likely scenario. That possibility, if it exists, is an instant disqualifier for me. I'm not a klutz, but shit happens.

Concrete stains even after it's been set. I'm sure there are products to purposely stain the surface.

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

8. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I have never had an issue with anything I have spilled, oil, gas, paint, kerosene. Wipes right up. Also I have user Jack stands before and haven't had issues but that was a mini cooper. I am sure if you are using them under a F-250 you might want to toss a little piece of plywood under it just in case. Eddie posted a great link. Both me and him including a couple of others are on that garage journal forum. Great place to gain some knowledge. The MAIN reason I went with race deck is I got a deal on it and I can pick it up and move it to a new home if I want to. I actually did this last year as I moved and took my flooring with me.

dsmitty37 likes this.
  9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I wouldn't add sand the the coating, it get abrasive, and will wear away over time. Use a product like Shark Grip or Softsand, it will provide traction, but will last much longer.

10. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I used densifier after i ground the garage floor

11. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Garage Journal is great but can be pretty overwhelming with the amount of information that is there.

12. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Yes, there are some nice abrasives out there, but the sand was sitting there.....I was like.....????...It actually did work ok, but after awhile the sand started breaking down, but then the coating was dimpled, which was better than nothing.....it has alittle grit so it isn't slick.

Large 2 bay shop, Oil doesn't soak in, and besides some time I spent cleaning it before I moved in, I spent around $120.

$50 recoat recently.....but that's it....done.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yes...sand does work well. The old ways of putting it in paint, plaster, floor coatings did well, there are better options these days though. That Shark Grip stuff is about the size of a grain of fill sand, it's plastic, but it's an odd shape that bonds to the coating much better, it's pretty cheap also. You can add it to concrete sealer and will spray out of a good quality pump sprayer, that way you get excellent coverage.

14. [​IMG]

And it's official. Cleaning up the shop, doing some minor painting and getting it all setup. Still haven't decided on what to do with the floors. I have a friend coming by who owned a construction company for 30+ years to take a look at it today. Picking up a new 60 gallon compressor today, new handy lift already in the shop, he also is giving me what's left of his client base, his parts unlimited account (I dont have to do the 8k buy in), and whatever else he has laying around. Sign is being done over the next couple weeks, hopefully before I'm done moving.

Also probably going to take the right side of the shop and wall it off for a clean room to build motors and do suspension in.

I cannot thank @rob linders enough for setting this up.

15. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Very cool! Congrats and good luck to you.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid:

17. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

That's awesome dude, congrats. +1 @rob linders for being a standup guy who corners low. :clap::beer:

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

HaHa...just saw this.

Alex, I'm glad I could help. I think it will be a great move for your business and your family. Not to mention being so close you can now go home for lunch, vs. driving an hour to work.

19. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

If you're gonna have any shirts made for the new shop, I'll take one.

20. The logo is done, I proofed it last night. So after the move is settled I'll be making shirts for sure.

Thanks everyone! Took 11 months to expand from 500sqft subletting in the worst ghetto in LA to 1500sqft in a 100% better neighborhood with a lot of benefits. Hopefully business stays as consistent and grows!

dsmitty37 and Boman Forklift like this.