1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engineering co-ops/internships?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGrouchyCat, Feb 19, 2017.

1. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Hi everyone,

I'm on here looking for a 3-session co-op or an internship for this summer. As many of you know I'm a sophomore going to Purdue as an Industrial Engineering major. I have an immense passion for motorcycles and engineering and have a few friends on the beeb that can vouch for my character and work ethic. I worked for @27 last summer in his shop and we had a really fun time so he's given me permission to use him as a reference. I've been involved with Purdue's Formula SAE team and am now on the Purdue Electric Racing team as well as my own racing with WERA. My full resume has more; I can send it to anyone who knows of an available position. I really want to get in the industry and get experience with real-life engineering problems and interact with engineers so if you know of any positions available or just suggestions please let me know as I send out my resume to different companies these next few days.

Thanks,
    Ben :)

[​IMG]

2. RobOpel

RobOpel New Member

I did the co-op thing when I was in school, but now recommend a series of internships at different companies/different industries. You get a chance to figure out what career you actually want before you graduate, and not wasting the first couple of years post graduation bouncing from job to job trying to find something that fits is important too. When I'm looking at resumes for full time positions, I don't bother interviewing if a person has more than 3 jobs in the past 4 years. That being said, if you're only at a place for one semester, you have to push hard to learn as much as possible to make it worth your while.

I'm a production engineer at a tier 1 automotive supplier North of Atlanta, and if you're interested in getting into that, co-ops/internships are the way to go. There's just too much to production engineering that isn't taught in school. FWIW, our internship group for summer is already full, but if you're interested in Fall, shoot me a pm.

3. I can probably set you up in my office or one of our plants. I'd go to a plant personally to get experience there. PM me details.

4. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Hello Ben..
    It's not motorcycle's or car's but we had a opening. Don't know if it's been filled.
    If your interested in Building Automation send me a pm. The lead engineer is a Purdue Grad.
    Indianapolis.

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

My brother co-opped for Honda through Ohio State.

The marysville plant is pretty large. Good resume builder, but I don't think he liked it much.

He's a mechanical engineer. Turned down a job at Honda and worked an Boeing for a few years before quitting and basically being a hippy. Last I talked to him, he was making rain catches in NM in exchange for lodging, and working as some kind of mountaineering guide.

But I could ask him about the Honda co-opp if you're interested. I think the goldwing engine may be assembled there, but it's not a motorcycle facility, per se.

6. Have a buddy with a very similar story. He said f-it, I'm not going off the grid I'm just going to make it a whole lot bigger. He'll work, then travel for a year, then repeat.

7. I could probably get you in at honda as well. What area do you want to be in?

8. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Hey fellas...

After seeing Ben's online passion for our sport and how well he took the BBS ribbing when he first came on here I invited him to come to stay/work at the old race shop last summer. I chose Purdue's ME program over GMI, even though I wanted to design cars, before discovering our sport so I knew where he was coming from. We've hosted racers and crew from all over the world and he was a pleasure to have around. We don't do as much racing or engineering as we once did, mostly marketing/branding now, but he did get to spend the summer around motorcycles. We taught him some things and had plenty of laughs which is the real measure of success to us. He is all engineer, his methods and structure of tasks are tell tale of his chosen trade. We believe there are racers that engineer and engineers that race, he seems to be the latter. We believe that he will thrive in a team environment with mentors and other like minded passionate people as he has a quest for knowledge and a passion for creative problem solving. (prime example as he chose the Elf bike pic above, I'm sure because of it's unique design)

TL;DR
    He's a good kid that is intelligent and personable who will be an asset to any employer.

TheGrouchyCat and rk97 like this.
  9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Look at all those offers up there Ben! As I told you this sport is made up of some of the best people on earth. Don't tell your peers about your own personal BBS job fair ;)

10. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

If you're interested in Toyota, send me a pm with your contact info and I can see if I can find the correct person and forward them your resume. I'd be willing to fill you in to the best of my abilities on what the corporate culture is like too. The division I work for is production engineering for all of North America, based out of KY. We take the designs and get them built and hand the tooling and equipment over to the plants.

11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Here you go Ben!
    Connect all of your connections...

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I know the owner of Hoist Lift trucks in East Chicago, Indiana. I can see if they have any programs. Good family owned company. I know it isn't motorsports, but let me know if you have interest.

13. No shit. Guys got options like mad. I can probably hire him to work for me direct.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. caferace

caferace No.

You're Ron Haslam?

-jim

15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Wow! Ben having someone willing to mentor you in your career like this is incredible. You'll have to change your name to happycat :)

16. Not in my day job, if I was my kid wouldn't be in Texas playing around with dirt bikes and guns (ok yes he would).

I'll talk to HR to ensure legality of it all but I can probably move one of the intern slots I have approved to be direct line to me. As long as HR is ok with it it's my call being the director of my dept.

17. caferace

caferace No.

Not you, pissedofffeline up there.

That's a photo of Haslam. :)

-jim

18. I'm jet lagged from Asia, cut me some slack hippie :)

19. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Grouchy -

I am down in Columbus, IN now and there is a boatload of work available down here. Cummins, Faurecia, Cummins, Toyota, Cummins.. You get the idea.

I would highly recommend that as an Engineer you work in a manufacturing area at least one summer so you understand the principles of how design translates into production. As I have explained to all of my interns over the years, if you diversify your experience, you won;t be marketable once you graduate. The guys and girls coming in abroad are starting to figure this out.

I will be hiring interns, but I have moved from Aerospace to plastics. I'll be happy to help where I can..

Cheers,

Ben

20. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Not sure where you are looking geographically, but my place is always hiring interns. Corp is in Chesterfield MO by the airport. We are a Systems Integrator.