1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel Notice - I-65 in Louisville

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

PSA

If you plan on traveling north to go to Grattan, Gingerman, Road America etc.. I-65N is now a toll bridge to get across the river. It's one of the toll by mail systems and it ain't cheap $2 per axle IIRC.

There are ways to bypass it if you have a car but it takes you downtown.. If you are towing, don't even bother.

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

As long as the construction is over, I'm ok with a toll. I got my license in 1979. I've driven south on 65 through Louisville probably 200 times, I don't ever remember when construction hasn't been going on.

3. Jersey5.0

Jersey5.0 Well-Known Member

There's a couple small side projects going on near the bridge, but it all appears to be 99% done. I travel through a few times a week on average and it's honestly great now. The toll scared a ton of the traffic into taking other non-tolled routes, so traffic is always light.

Razr likes this.
  4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Did they reroute 65 onto 265 or something? I thought 65 was through downtown and 265 was the new toll bridge on the east side?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

65 definitely goes straight through downtown, maybe he means side streets downtown? Whatever the loop road around Louisville is sucks - takes you way too far out of the way.

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yep, we're plenty happy to have all this crap finished...finally!

The only free bridges are the far West bridge out of Corydon and the 2nd Street Bridge. Don't not take the 2nd Street Bridge, it puts you into downtown. Easy to get back on if you know the way, a bitch if you don't.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Are they charging only to get out of Kentucky? :D

dtalbott likes this.
  8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

You mean people actually want to go to Indiana :D

(Speedway is exempt)

Razr likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good point, I prefer going south on that bridge even if it means I have to pay to do it :D

10. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

You know.. I hate yo' big ass sometimes :D

11. That reminds me of when construction was going on forever on I-10 in Houston/Katy. Traffic is SO bad in that area. Like it takes you 30min to go 10 miles most of the day. So they spent years expanding the freeway and adding another lane. While doing so, traffic was obviously even worse because of the construction.

Then they finished it, and put a really high Toll on the additional lane they added, so very few people use it. It essentially did absolutely nothing to help the traffic problem.

12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Charlotte is doing the very same thing, with a Spanish company and a contract that forbids any further widening of the road for 50 years.

And if the tolls don't make enough money, the taxpayers make up the difference. SMH

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Cool....good to know.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I HAVE to drive through Kentucky.............to get to Tennessee!

rd400racer likes this.