1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First race weekend - Talladega GP February 10-12, 2017

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by Lazy Destroyer, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

Well I had a total blast last weekend at Talladega GP for the WERA opener! So here's my race report for my first weekend ever!
    Got into Tally Thursday night and got settled into the pits near pit out. Picked up a generator from StickBoy and got my bike setup with a few others in a heated tent to keep everything safe from the freezing temps.

Friday was the Trackapalooza trackday which I really needed as I haven't been to Tally in a long time. I skipped first session due to the cold but the rest of the day heated up nicely, and I got into a "good enough" rhythm to feel comfortable for the WERA weekend. I ran Bridgestones for the first time so I slowly worked my pace up to see how they feel. I didn't run my lap timer but felt my pace was decent enough for the coming weekend. Went out for a Mexican dinner, but got back a little too late to swap tires. So I kept the Bridgestones on the bike and kept the Pirellis for later. Worked on a few small things on the bike and went to bed, pretty excited for the weekend.

Saturday was my first time with WERA, although doing photos for two years with them made me pretty comfortable with what I was getting into. I started the day pretty good by getting first in line for Riders School registration, so no matter what happens I knew I at least won something this weekend. ;) Did the classroom stuff and some practice sessions. Most of the material I already knew from the Bargy class I took a long time ago, but it was a good refresher.

When first call came out for the Mock Race, I started to get a little anxious/nervous, but not too bad. Once on the track I felt great. I promised myself I would take the start easy, but when the green waved a lot of people hesitated so I went for a gap and passed about 4 people. Sadly I somehow forgot to shift into second (LOL) so after botching the shift I got passed back by a few. I rode the rest of the Mock Race on tilt a little, but I knew it was just the mock race so no worries. I got into a group of three of us which was fun, although I couldn't quite manage a pass on my SV despite staying on them most of the race. 4 laps went by quick and I finished somewhere mid pack.

My first proper race was Race 5A, LWT SS. After watching some really fast LW guys go by my pits to pit-out, I knew it was game time. Lined up on the grid with lots of butterflies. When the flag dropped I went for it and promptly lifted the front end which I wasn't expecting! So my start wasn't great but I managed to recover and be in a pretty good position going into Turn 1.
    A few laps in I exited the Bowl and nearly highsided. It all happened in slow motion and I remember hearing the motor rev up as my ass end swung around. I was sure I was doomed. I got bucked off the bike and remember seeing my front number plate, but somehow landed back on the bike and recovered. It was totally unexpected and my pace was the same as usual, so I kept it easy at first and just kept it easy exiting the corners in case it was some mechanical issue.
    The rest of the race was uneventful and I came in first place at the checkered. Woohoo!

After the race I checked the rear tire pressure after it sat on the warmers and it was over 5 psi higher than it should. I guess I let the tire cool off too much when I flipped it before the race, and set the pressure at the wrong time.

Second race of the day was Race 7 and this one turned out to be pretty uneventful. I lollygagged the start because I was a bit nervous from the previous wheelie. I stayed mostly by myself although I did get passed by some of the other classes that started behind me, those kids are fast! I tried keeping up with them but they were a bit faster in some spots, which I need to work on. Finished my race in first place.

Had a good day, the only problem is that my left hand keeps going numb at around the 7 lap mark. I get the same thing when I drive with my left hand holding the steering wheel, even with a light grip. Or when I'm on my streetbike or dirtbike and I hold the clutch in longer than a couple minutes. So I need to get this looked at because at both races by lap 8, I really couldn't feel my left hand at all. I don't think it's a grip tightness issue but maybe something similar.

After the races we went out for a pizza dinner. Turned out my luck ran out and got a full glass of coke spilled on me, totally soaked. I ended up "winning" a free Mellow Mushroom shirt for the trouble.

Sunday was fun because I got to practice with the regular Lightweight group which was nice because I could ride behind a bit more people to see how they ride. I practice my line through Turn 3, I had trouble with this turn all weekend and found a proper line, which I still had trouble hitting during the races.

Race 4 and 6 were my races and they both went pretty smoothly. I still need to work on my starts but it was okay because it allowed me to make a pass for first place in both races. I was really surprised in the group size for LWT Novice (2-3 bike grids) but the Expert group was much bigger so I guess most of the Novices I'm used to seeing are bumped up by now. Hopefully we can get a few more this season.

I want to say a BIG THANKS to the following:
    Daniel Paine, Robert Murillo, Wesley Hanson, Shaun Harrison, Bradley Ashbaugh for all the help in the pits, made it much easier with the help you all gave!
    Derek Stickboy Bennett for the tire help and generator
    James Bock for the Roebling track day back in December
    John Cook for the Friday WERA practice
    Ed Bargy for the great easy-to-follow starts
    Mark Merical for being awesome!
    Jeff Wright, great job as always on the PA
    Shane Richardson with wheelie advice (of course LOL)
    Andrew Bowen, Lisa Toussaint- Bowen, and Scott A. Bowen for hanging out (and for the chili)!
    Jamie Patrick Starace and Aaron Hernandez for the help this weekend and leading up to this weekend
    Damian Jigalov for hanging out at dinner ;)
    My mom for driving all night Friday to watch me race this weekend, sorry (not sorry) for the stress overload :)
    Tiffany Karmakaze Kress for making it out Saturday despite being sick (and taking the dog with you so I could get puppy time)

The photographers:
    Raul Jerez at Highside Photo (highsidephoto.com)
    Lee Fields at Active Shooter Photography
    Anna Rigby at RedSpade Racing
    for the awesome job you all do!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]