1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Dyno comparison (new Gixxer)

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Feb 16, 2017.

1. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

I'd like to see them all ran back to back using SAE correction factor & not DNI.. lol that would tell some real stories. I don't doubt the zuk will have power, it should, they've had nearly a decade to do it, plus.. V-tech yo..

2. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Over the years I have spent a fair amount of time trying to catch somebody sending a modified test bike. Including looking at cam timing and cylinder head ports. To say nobody has ever done that and nobody is doing it now is ignorant.

I've also used customer bikes in tests, just to see if what is being sold matches test bike performance. Recently compared a customer bike to a test bike at a local racetrack.

I've also collected dyno info from guys like Jason Ferrell and compared it to runs we made on test bikes.

3. John29

And, at various times in my career, have torn down test bikes to the crank and published photos. And compared test bike parts to parts on customer bikes.

So much for "never."

4. LD

LD I do science

What did you conclude? Catch anybody cheating?

5. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

I wonder how much Webco dyno horsepower these new liter bikes would have.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It prolly doesn't happen so dramatically anymore but, back when, the same model bikes could have relatively wild differences in dyno outputs all due to MFG processes/tolerances. This one's head flows better than that one's head kinda thing... To do realistic reporting on/for dyno results for any one model, you woulda had to have a pool of bikes.

I think for racing considerations, you might as well give each bike "the treatment" before doing any testing.
    And lest ye forget, HP isn't the end all to beat all. That's why I bought a Honda. :D

7. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

So do you feel at home on the 600? or do you miss the A class shenanigans? :D

8. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

So my original statement was factually correct, yet you felt the need to challenge it so you could then come on and tirelessly self promote how well your magazine goes after manufacturers trying to cheat. That about sum it up?

9. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I love it! We are still in the early learning stage of finding the limits so I'm not pushing it to hard yet. :D

I'm taking baby steps getting back to know the smaller bike. No real rush because I told myself if I'm not having fun at this I'll quit,,,,,again lol

The only thing I missed from A this past weekend was starting on the front row :confused:

SmokeSignalRT likes this.
  10. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

I think the part of John's quote that you highlighted was referring to your earlier post here:

So he was showing that your statement that RRW never attempted to keep manufacturers honest was not correct.

Also, you come off as a bit of a dick in that first post I quoted.

scottn likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A bit of a dick? :crackup:

12. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

I was trying to be nice, and not escalate.:D

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You know everything you wrote is still there, right?

14. John29

Rob P is not factually correct, especially when he claims my magazine has not been doing the right thing and that test bike cheating is widespread, based on info he says he got from talking to an un-named guy.

I was talking to a friend of mine this morning about Rob P's claims and he reminded me of a test of a bike that made A LOT of power. Just to double check, we got one from a dealer, compared it to the test bike we got from the OEM, and published the story in the magazine. Look it up.

15. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Suzuki will never be as good as the others according to the BEEB.....

16. John29

It's really not self serving when some guy calls out the business you're in, then follows up by singling out a magazine you own and operate, makes false claims, and in response you defend your life's work by laying out the facts.

Pixelator, dsmitty37, scottn and 6 others like this.
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

John, didn't one of the manufacturers threaten to sue you and the magazine and to pull their advertising over you doing that?

Can't remember all the details, it was a along time ago and I can't remember what I had for dinner last night. :D

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Was that the time I challenged the "stockness" of the 2001 GSXR1000 because I couldn't believe how badly it bitch-slapped the R1? I remember you went out and got another bike that time. :D

John29 likes this.
  19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Honda will always suck more. :D

Pigman likes this.
  20. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Remember the dyno-tested HP limited classes from years ago in ASRA. No one ever loaded a different map into the computer after the test, or flipped a switch, or ran different gas. ;)

SpeedyE likes this.