1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Dyno comparison (new Gixxer)

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Feb 16, 2017.

1. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I also noticed that the Suzuki has a HUGE muffler so the motor is less restricted in stock form or are the Euro bikes totally unrestricted.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I believe it said the Euro bikes are not restricted. The US ones I think it said they have a soft limiter that cuts in early on the GSXR.

I guess they do this (smartly) because they test db numbers at a certain %age of the bikes redline. So if Suzuki makes and artificially lower redline then they can pass the sound test at a lower (quieter) RPM. At that point ditching the can for a slip-on and a $200 reflash of the ECU to restore the original redline is pretty easy to get full power.

3. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

You have first hand experience to support that statement about engine tuning?

4. John29

Euro4 is a very tough standard, and is the reason exhaust systems have been growing in internal volume (and external size). A bike that meets Euro4 is not less restricted than US-market bikes.

5. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Iirc, it's noise tests that made Suzuki restrict the us spec bikes. Iirc (again :D ) the throttle valves do not fully open at wide open throttle. Easy to restore.

6. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

:)
    I cannot stand revving my brand new bike to the limiter! It doesn't have to do with the bike but me!:) I followed the manuals instructions religiously when breaking in my K6 1000. :beer:

7. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Taken to a dyno brand new and run in there won't hurt the engine. If it's going to break it's going to do it whether you are following the break in or on the dyno.

My new 600 went straight to Livengoods dyno with 3 miles on the clock. Took it off the dealers floor with 1 mile, I rode it down the road 2 miles just to make sure it run. Livengood run it in on his dyno and tuned it for 80 miles and 6 hours that day. Pump gas and MR12 maps.

Raced it at Talladega last weeekend running it no different than any other Race bike I've owned. No issues, runs like a champ, 215 miles currently.

Bought a new Suzuki GSX-S 1000 same day as the 600, it's my streetbike, ran it in hard from mile 1 showing. Currently at 1000 miles and it runs great. I don't believe in manufactures BS break in guidelines which are written by lawyers anyway. Owned enough of these things to know if they're gonna break a manufactures break in guideline won't matter.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  8. Agreed.

I can't even remember how many bikes I have taken to Livengood with less than 3 miles on the clock and he did his thing.

With that being said, he does his own break in procedure on the dyno. He doesn't just immediately run them to redline. He does a break-in on new motors (and/or newly built motors), but it isn't the 600 mile thing like the manual states.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah but you're kind of an Ar-tard with more money than brains. and shit. :D

10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

We talked about the procedure before I bought the bike. He told me don't even crank it if I didn't have too. Me being me I cranked it. I was there the whole time he did his break procedure in on it. One of the main reasons I continue to use Brian is his methodical approach to his work.

He's a perfectionist and was still tweaking the thing with his laptop as we loaded it into the bed of my truck in the dark. lol

cav115 and Gorilla George like this.
  11. Haha, nah that isn't it. I just don't agree with the concept that it takes 600 miles to break in a modern motor. I think that is silly.

Phl218, jt21 and roy826ex like this.
  12. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

why? the concept, you dont agree with..

lol

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:Pop:

Phl218 likes this.
  14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:
    This. The 600 mile thing is just the manufacturer covering their ass. I have never seen a race motor that was broken in as per "factory recommendations". Pretty much just get the rings seated and get after it.

Pixelator likes this.
  15. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

you heard him say it? like say... hearsay? lol

16. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Oh FFS, OEMs never cheat, like say install software that defeats emissions software in a VW tdi? When was the last time a mag like RRW or any other tore down a press bike and compared it to a bike off the showroom floor? Never. Can you say with any certainty that the bikes the magazines test haven't been fiddled with, say correcting emissions related fueling issues. What is the value to an OEM of a good review or winning a comparison shootout?

Don't be naive.

17. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

That's all I'm gonna say on it. I'm not here to convince anyone.

18. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

just givin' ya a hard time. i think youre probably correct. but technically..

19. John29

We have dyno tested customer bikes to monitor that and in fact did that a couple of days ago. And have used customer bikes as benchmarks in tests.

deepsxepa likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For a press launch I could see tweaking. For the ones they give you guys to test it would be idiotic as it's too easy to catch.