1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which AR 15 type rifle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 26, 2012.

1. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I appreciate the feedback.

I believe my wife is going to buy me the carbine version for my birthday. If I dig it, I'll order up the SBR version and sell the carbine once I clear ATF/FBI/DHS/EPA/OPP/NSA/NASA background check.

One of things I did find on the tube was that the lowers are interchangeable. You can swap the 45 lower with the 9mm lower. I wonder what the paperwork process would be just swap a pistol lower on the carbine?

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You can put any barrel you want on a pistol...just no buttstock.

3. Falcondrvr

Falcondrvr Well-Known Member

I was in the same boat but I've never heard anyone who utilized one professionally say anything good about them. Shame.

4. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

For what I gathered a Daniel Defense M4 is a good choice. But a pricey one.

5. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I'll shoot a polymer lower 400 dollar AR against a DD any day. An AR is an AR is an AR.

Steeltoe likes this.
  6. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Dude, again with this shit? You're a dealer that I would never buy from based on your horrible advice.

Daniel Defense rifles are fantastic. They are expensive but worth it for the person that wants to buy a quality rifle instead of building it DIY. The only thing on a DD that you would want to upgrade (if you want to increase accuracy) would be the trigger. otherwise, they are great and you are getting one of the best AR barrels on the market. Lots of custom builders use DD CHF barrels.

(not that the trigger is bad, because it's a great trigger...I'm talking about upgrading brakes on a racebike here know what I mean?)

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he is being sarcastic.
    But the fact of the matter is that for 90% of the people looking at an AR, an AR IS an AR.

Quicktoy likes this.
  8. Quicktoy

You call it horrible. I've built almost 500 ARs. I think I know what I'm talking about. A Daniel defense is a great gun. Would I ever buy one? Hell no. It's over priced. Unless you are a top class world shooter, an AR is an AR is an AR. I'm not being sarcastic at all. I'm saying a polymer Junk AR shoots as well as a multi thousand dollar Daniel defense gun. I tell people make sure you buy an AR with forward assist. Everything else is upgradeable down the line but all the upgrades in the world don't make them much better. They're all great guns. I don't understand why you have a problem with me saying they are all the same thing so just buy which one you prefer as a buyer. If you feel the need to buy a DD, go for it. I'll sell you one. I'm trying to let the guys know getting into the field to not drop more than 700-800 bucks to get into the sport.

brex likes this.
  9. Quicktoy

And if my comment was so bad how come steel toe liked it who's one of the other more knowledgeable gun guys on this page? You say you wouldn't buy from me so does that mean you wouldn't listen to the honest opinion of someone who knows what they're talking about??

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What makes a DD (or any of the high end guns) 4 or 5 times better than a $500 AR?

11. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Just speculation, but probably just an expensive placebo for most folks. Spec sheet says this or that, therefore it must be the "best". Kinda like a trackday person, or even a club racer, with $25K+ bike or amateur fisherman with $60K bass boat, and the list goes on. Yeah, the tool may be the "best", but when another person does better with something "lesser", it goes back to skill set. I had a $1200 Rock River for a while, I shoot my $600 Ruger just as well.

12. blkduc

Simple, there is a difference and a $500 Bushmaster, DPMS, etc. simply does not shoot the same as something like a DD. You know this. Example from last weekend... A buddy just bought a M&P sport, great cheap rifle. We shot it side by side with one of my precision ARs. My AR is grouping 3/8" at 100 yards, his 2". My AR is hitting hanging tennis balls at 300 yards, his not even close. With him shooting both rifles, similar results but he's not a precision shooter so his results weren't as good but two shooters of different skill levels getting similar results. Even a casual plinker like him shoots different. There quite simply is a difference in the rifle's capability. He is a newer shooter, his groups were dramatically different between the two rifles. He is already wanting to upgrade his.

You say they shoot the same and you also say the AR is not a precision rifle. Both of these are simply false statements. Is the DD overpriced? Sure to someone that can build their own but to someone who wants an out of the box factory rifle that shoots better, has quality components, and has the budget to do it then it's a great choice.

To get people in the sport and get an AR in their hands, they should first decide what type of shooting they want to do, then find a rifle that fits their goals...just like anything. If they are casual shooters, a cheap AR is what I recommend too but as per my example above even a casual shooter can perform better with a better rifle. That tighter group comes at a price so it may not be worth it depending on the buyer. But your absolute statements about ARs not being precision rifles, and all ARs shoot the same are simply wrong.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So what specific things are in the DD rifle that make it shoot tighter than the M&P? Are the sights better? Is the twist different? Surely the trigger is better. What about ammo? Were you using the same?

I would bet that almost all of the difference is in trigger and ammo.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Dude, that's ancient history. It's been what, 8 years since all your guns were lost in that tragic boating accident? ;)

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

People throw out the name Daniel Defense because it's the only one they know. There are some real tack drivers in that price point better than DD. Larue, Noveske, LWRC...

Larue guarantees less than 1 moa.

The real reason DD is so popular is their .gov contracts. Not accuracy. Owners think they're tacticool.

That could also be why I like Larue so much lol. Guilty!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  16. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

Sure, those Chinese built parts for your race bike look the same, feel the same, and I'm sure are just as good as any other quality part. Same goes for ARs. Yes, there are some overpriced ones, however, the ones that cost more typically cost more because a better manufacturing process, better materials, better assembly, and thorough testing.

17. blkduc

Well that example wasn't run using the DD. (nor did I say it was) The DD is not a 3/8 MOA shooter. It's a middle range rifle. If you want precision you are into another category with rifles like larue, GAP, etc. as Steeltoe mentioned. But if you want to know why a DD is a tighter shooter than an M&P, well just before my boating accident I had both of those in my safe. So to answer your question, yes the trigger is better, the twist is different, and the one thing that a DD has over other rifles in that range is an awesome barrel. Shooting those two side by side you learn quickly that the DD holds it's precision better when the barrel heats up.

Yes ammo is huge and yes that comparison last weekend was run on the same ammo.

Look, there is a difference in quality and performance between cheap ARs and expensive ones. I never claimed the DD to be the greatest, I was addressing the claim that an AR is an AR. A DD is a fine rifle but it's in what I would consider the middle range. It's not a precision shooter but it's a lot nicer than the $600 ARs. Steeltoe is right that some of it's competitors are a bit better in the same price range, I'm not arguing that. I'll even agree that it's a bit overpriced.

This is what I'm calling bullshit on. A person that says this tells me they do not know what they are talking about. So a rifle that shoots 3/8 groups is not much better than one that shoots 2" groups. Al righty then. :rolleyes: All the upgrades in the world don't make them much better? This along with his "Ars are not precision rifles" statements tell me that he is literally the gun guy behind the counter that we all dread.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I want Henry lever action :D

19. blkduc

I'm pretty much with ya here. I don't think Noveske is that much better though.

20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I want a Marlin 336.