1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD TV Repair?? Costly? Worth It?

Discussion in 'General' started by zracer196, Feb 8, 2017.

1. zracer196

zracer196 Well-Known Member

I have a 3 year old Vizio 70" smart TV (lower tier model) that decided to stop working. While I was watching the picture quickly faded to about 1/2 the size top to bottom...Then lost it's color and went dark. It all happened within a second or two. You can still see a slight background light.

Any hope at repairing these fairly cheap? It was probably $1500 when new...They do not seem much more than that now.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

2. caferace

caferace No.

Dust it. As in, dust removal. Inside and out.

What's the model #?

-jim

3. splyn

splyn Well-Known Member

did you buy it at costco with an AmexCard? if so, check your warranty. I found my old Vizio had an automatic extended warranty due to Costco/Amex.

4. zracer196

I will post the model # tonight. I bought on the internet...Cannot remember through who. But was not Amex. Thanks!

5. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Its likely that one of the 2 PCB's(one has the power connection, the other is connected to incoming cable) in there that has gone bad. Mine happened to be the one with the cable connection, it got bit by lightening. If you take the back cover off you can get the part#s off the PCB (take pictures for comparison) and search for them on Ebay. Its fairly easy to remove the back panel and get to them, hardest part is some of the tiny connectors can be a lil tricky to disconnect. Good news is if you fuck it all up somehow, new TV's are surprisingly cheap these days.

6. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

They were advertising 70 inch 4k smart Vizios for $999 the other day. I'd say go that route.

7. caferace

caferace No.

Blow a grand instead of a possible $50 fix?

OK. :confused:

-jim

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sounds like your pixels need to be individually cleaned.

badmoon692008, jt21 and notbostrom like this.
  9. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Flux capacitor is fucked. It is impossible to find one anywhere. I told a friend of mine that's what was probably wrong with his tv and he said after lots of searching on the internet all he could find was a bunch of shit about a movie or some shit.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Google the model number. These things are known for the same part failing on every unit of the production run . Fixed one of mine with a 3 dollar capacitor after it died.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. Always google the issue and model #. Amazing how many fixes you can find.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, nothing on a TV is $50 to fix. Call someone in and it's $200 minimum and then start adding parts. Might be cheaper to huck it in a dumpster and buy new.

13. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Probably just a bad tube..... :D

mpusch and G 97 like this.
  14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Some people have the ability to fix their own shit. :Poke:

badmoon692008 likes this.
  15. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Good. Now you don't have a spy in your living room.

I'm with Stupid and G 97 like this.
  16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

17. zracer196

Do you know where you saw this? I have not seen any this cheap...Thanks!

18. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Do you have any local tv repair shops?

Reason I ask is we have a local shop. Take broken TV in, hand the man $20, come back in an hour or yet to see the estimate. If you decide to let him fix it, the $20 goes towards the bill. If not, he keeps it.

Seems fair enough.

Boman Forklift and Banditracer like this.
  19. zracer196

Very good idea...And yes seems simple and fair enough! I will search for some in my area...I'm in Orlando...Have to have some around here. Thanks!

20. zracer196

Been away from the board for a while...Happy I am back!

Boman Forklift and bleacht like this.