1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'General' started by worthless, Feb 2, 2017.

1. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Never played guitar. Want to learn to play bass. Is it better/easier to learn regular guitar and then bass or just go straight to bass?
    I can bass air guitar with the best of them...I'm sure I won't be as good when it's time to actually play.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

To hold a basic rhythm it's pretty easy if you're not a complete ar-tard. To play it well is way harder than it looks.

You aren't fat are you? Because Kill all fat bass players!

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Get a bass and go for it. Playing along with music helps me, gets boring playing alone. Look at Craigslist, deals everywhere for a bass and amp. Or you could get an acoustic bass and play anywhere.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I just bought some strings for my beater bass today! I don't play, I'll stick to the skins. But I did try a little. If you get taught a couple of chords you can jam right along. But like Dave said, getting good at it is another thing. My hand cramped up after about 20 minutes.

I bought a $150 Yamaha bass at Music Go Round just to have at the house and all the real bass players say it works fine.

Biggest thing is, just start! I didn't start playing the drums until I was 38. Now 18 years later I can hold my own. But if I never started I'd still be wishing I had learned an instrument.

Wife is in Houston, I'm jamming with the band tonight!

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Razr likes this.
  6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Baby steps....need to learn basics before going for a striper.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Drummers don't get chicks, they get to join 14 more bands.

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

And they never get to write any songs.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Someone better tell Henley.

Razr likes this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

In honor of Dave...

[​IMG]

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Bill Stevenson
    Dave Grohl

pscook likes this.
  12. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Don't forget to glare at the drummer whenever you fuck your part.

13. amaner

amaner will do math for food

I can comment a little on this. I played guitar (right-handed) most of my life, but an old injury to my left arm has made it progressively more difficult to fret notes and move up and down the neck without serious pain. It got to the point that I would play for an hour or so and then have excruciating pain for at least a day. (The surgery is a no go, due to the lengthy recovery time and the fact that I only experience the pain when playing guitar or doing things like trimming trees.)

So, one day I picked up a lefty bass in the local guitar store and was hooked. I have enough range of motion in my left arm to finger pick and (when I get there) slap, and my right arm has no motion restrictions. I sold all of my guitars and amps that didn't have sentimental value and bought a couple lefty basses and a nice amp. I haven't regretted the decision one bit! I really enjoy looking at music in a different way, and having nearly no pain is fantastic (I get a little from exercising my left hand, but it's improving).

Since I'd never played lefty, I was essentially starting from zero in the technique department. I just grabbed a few books - Hal Leonard Bass Method, Black Sabbath transcriptions, etc - and went at it. I suck right now, but every day I improve a little bit. More important, I'm having a blast and finding bass more relaxing (for lack of a better word) than guitar. Do it; you won't regret it. I think you will find it easier than guitar, but doing it right most certainly is not easy. I watched some interviews with Jack Bruce and other legendary bassists, and they all agree that there is a real art to supporting a band, rather than just playing guitar one octave lower.

Razr likes this.
  14. joec

joec brace yourself

Ginger Baker

15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Slappa da bass, mon !

Razr likes this.
  16. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I started playing the Ukulele about a month ago. Lots of Youtube lessons. Kind of got hooked to the sound and vibe in the south pacific. Also they have 4 strings and a lot of songs only have 3 or 4 easy cords, but you can tell what the song is. Plus there small and relatively cheap. Just in case you lose interest your not stuck with a big base and an amp. If you find you like it you can always buy a bass.

17. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

You could probably master Van Halen's -"Runnin' With the Devil" in an afternoon. :Poke:

Razr and amaner like this.
  18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

30 minutes tops, the whole album in an afternoon.