1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vortex Superbike Racing Carbon Pads - Feedback

Discussion in 'Tech' started by caboose, Jan 23, 2017.

1. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

Does anyone have any feedback on these pads?

What you like and don't like? Bite, feel, power, longevity, etc?

Thx

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

If you've ever used SBS Dual Carbon pads, you've used these.

3. caboose

I have not.

I've used Ferrodo CP1s, Vesrah 17 and XX as well as the DP race pads.

4. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Definitely not a strong initial bite (coming from EBC GPAFX pads). They seem to be very long lasting and do take some heat to get full power. Feel is good (Can't say too much on it, just don't know how to describe "feel"). Would never use them on a street bike because of the lack of initial bite, but I am sticking with them for my racebike.

caboose likes this.
  5. caboose

Thanks

6. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Have not used mine yet, but from what I've been told they're re-branded SBS dual-carbon pads, which is what I've had for last year and I really like them. They seem very predictable with not a huge initial bite and great stopping power once they're warmed up, which I personally like.

7. Redlining52

Redlining52 Well-Known Member

I started using the SBS Dual Carbons mid season last year, if they are the same at the Vortex like Mike is stating I can give some insight. As some has said they don't have a big initial bite, which I like, I came off of the SRJL XX and they have less initial bite than those, I think they have more outright braking power though and I like the feel of the SBS more. They are a very progressive pad, the harder you pull the harder you stop, they have some serious stopping power and it's very controlled and easy to modulate, I've never said to myself that I need more brake. They do however need some heat to work to there full potential, I usually drag my brakes going through the pits to get them warmed up and started taking a pretty hard warm up lap to ensure I got some heat in them. I like to trail brake a lot so these pads work great, if I just want a little brake I get a little brake, I don't have to worry about a huge bite mid corner. I would however have a back up pad in case you do any riding in the rain, I have not yet used them in the rain but have been told they arn't the best when they get wet. I haven't had them on long enough to determine longevity, they are however half the cost of the SRJL XX that I was using so I don't care to much about having to buy a new set.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  8. caboose

Thanks for your input!

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What he said.

If you're swapping from a sintered pad to the carbons, you should clean your rotors very thoroughly and give them a scuff with a scotch brite pad. We had different front wheels I'd use with Xavier Zayat for the different pad compounds. He preferred the DC pads at some tracks and the RS pads at other tracks. HOW you brake and what tracks you race on have a lot to do with which pad is the best choice for you.

10. caboose

Yup. That all makes sense.

With the Z04s being fairly costly it's a cost/benefit analysis to switch.

Z04s work really well, I like them, they suit my riding, they are very durable, but they cost $300+ for a set.

SBS/Vortex DC sound like they would suit my riding style fairly well, they aren't as durable but they're much cheaper. However, I would need a different setup for the wet which means a dedicated wet wheel with rotors and another set of pads.

11. Bburns912

Bburns912 Well-Known Member

SBS pads work just fine in the rain. If you can't keep heat in them your not going fast enough. ;)

12. caboose

I've got some feedback (not just on the Beebs) from some other fast guys who say the SBS DC is not good in the wet.

13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

i was wondering if the Vortex pads were SBS. the packaging is so similar. good to know that.

i just switched from SBS DC to SRJL XX.

i think the XXs have more braking power. given that someone above thought the opposite, they are prob very close. im comparing worn DCs to new XXs and he might be comparing the opposite, so its hard to tell.

durability-wise, the DCs lasted less than half as long as the SRJL 17s i ran before. so there really isnt a price difference.

the DCs were shit at Laguna on a foggy slightly-damp track in the morning. i hope the XXs will be better this year.

14. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

spoiling that kid.... :)

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  15. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I can't compare durability with many others, as I've only ever ran EBC's (both EPFA and GPFA), and the SBS seem to be lasting quite a bit longer so far.

They worked just fine in the rain for me, but granted that was on my CBR500, so it's a pretty slow bike. I have not tried them in the rain on the ZX6R yet.

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

My son loved the Vesrah's, I don't have the package any longer, but I think they were XX. He ran them for a full season and liked the way they felt the entire time.

The GOLDfren's we had on at Road America, before switching to Vesrah's, were literally melting onto the rotors during one session. He never got a chance to try the DC's, but tried a few other brands, and he always liked the Vesrah's the best.

Another brand he liked the feel of, would go off after a couple race weekends. Even though there was still plenty of material, they just started to feel like wood.

buzz-06 likes this.