1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 SV650

Discussion in 'General' started by Fastway Racing, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

CSS and YCRS are very different, Once your bike is prepped maintaining it isn't difficult.. In fact as I was listening to a Ken Hill podcast on the way home today I was going to suggest to him that he do a racers to do list for keeping your bike in top shape. I learned a lot when I started racing, just sitting in his pit talking and seeing how he maintained his bikes Sat night after practice in preparation for the races the next day.
    No one will look at you weird for an air suit. You could always get a safermoto setup that you wear over your leathers. Make sure your helmet and boots fit properly, Some brands will fit you better than others. Can't go wrong with Shoei, Suomy, Arai, and the new Bells are supposed to be good but I haven't used them. I like Sidi boots, but I have some alpinestars supertech's that worked well for me too.

The bike you ride or race will determine a lot of your expenses. I usually planned on about 1K per weekend. Little bike, I changed tires after two race weekends and uses the take offs for teaching at track days, some guys I raced against went 4 weekends on one set. I preferred the peace of mind of new tires. :) Liter bikes will go through tires a LOT faster.

ajcjr likes this.
  2. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

yeah its tough figuring out costs lol

3. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

http://khcoaching.com/about/ is this the Ken Hill you were referring to? I will check out his podcast.

4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Yep that's the Ken Hill, I knew him before he was famous. :) HI Ken :D. I had a mentor for my second year of racing, who was a good friend of Ken's. The first year of racing I just kept trying to go faster which only goes so far and I shattered my left arm due to the lack of skill. :) As I said before, most fast guys can't tell you how they do it. My mentor was one that could tell you, Ken is another and he has continually raised it to another level. Funny thing though, the mentor I had helped me work it out in the pits most of the time, seldom did we ride on the track together. We talked, and discussed what I was doing, what I could do to improve, what to look for and think about while on track. He made me a much faster rider and a better racer and I won a class championship with his help, I doubt that would have happened on my own.

ajcjr likes this.
  5. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

good deal, i used a driver coach when racing as well, i also used a coach on my simulator which helped alot when i was not in the car.

6. MikeDeRoche

MikeDeRoche SailCaptain

Here is a up date to my 2017 SV650 track bike. I used the Sharkskinz Gen 1 tail piece and made a seat base to connect that to the frame. I was going to then just add a foam pad to that base. I did a track day at PBIR before the foam arrived and it's a good thing I did. The seat was way to low, about 14 1/2 inches from peg to seat. Yes I could have used two layers of foam but it would not be easy to shape and sand it. Besides, once you start sanding the foam, it really needs to be covered. So I built another seat pan on top of the tail, added two layers of neoprene foam, shaped and sanded and then covered it with black leather.
    Sometimes I go to my shop just to look at it.
    IMG_0575.JPG

7. I have never even sat on an SV. But I would like to try one sometime. I like how the SV grids are always big.

8. Chango

Chango Something clever!

It ended up being a lot bigger than I expected when I first got mine. To me it feels basically like an 04 GSXR with a narrower gas tank.

Then again, it has been quite a while since I had that GSXR, so I could be remembering wrong.

9. MikeDeRoche

MikeDeRoche SailCaptain

If our paths cross, you are welcome to ride mine. I would characterize the seating position as favoring someone with a long torso and short legs. Even with the padded seat it's still only 15 1/2 inches from peg to lowest part of seat. Part of the reason is that the rear sets make the pegs very high. These are Gen 2 pegs that happened to fit (with some washers). One tell about the height of the pegs is to look at the rear brake reservoir relative to the master. My guess is that when someone comes out with Gen 3 specific rear sets, the pegs will be lower.

I feel so emboldened by may fabrication skills, it makes me think I can next take on making a fuel tank.

10. I've never really liked racing with the seating position of the Gixxers. I prefer the feeling of sitting "on" the bike (R6, 675, Panigale), rather than "in" the bike like the Gixxers.

Lavana likes this.
  11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Great looking SV!!!!

12. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

kind of melts my brain that you don't have an SV already. Livengood could build you a Death-Star grade one for relatively little money. that combined with grid sizes/competition and eligibility........you might even be tired at the end of the day :D

Gorilla George and scottn like this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He's the long-lost last remaining Romanov. His great-grandfather was away on a hunt when the Bolsheviks took care of the family. He's trying his best to get another revolution started, though.
    Anyway, SVs are for commoners. Homie don't play that.

renegade17 likes this.
  14. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Read my sig line to find your answer.

rocalotopus and shakazulu12 like this.
  15. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Yea, but he's actually right about this part.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

About what part? I didn't even read what he's arguing. I figured I had a 99% chance of being right and took the random shot. :D

caferace likes this.
  17. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Plus his head would explode when he took it to Tally and only did some :04's on it. :D

18. Tonyp425

Tonyp425 Well-Known Member

The Gen 3 rearsets are lower of course they are adjustable as to placement mine are set in the neutral position until I make some laps on it

19. Tonyp425

Tonyp425 Well-Known Member

Did traction dynamics set your forks that high

20. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Get yourself an FZ07 and make it a superbike. 335lbs and 90hp is pretty easy and it handles like a true sportbike.

Boman Forklift and rocalotopus like this.