1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. rcmike917

rcmike917 Well-Known Member

The tech 3's had a soft toe area, not good, Alpinestars might have updated them, no idea. Buddy of mine lost his big toe wearing those boots, I watched his big toe fall out of his sock (I posted the story in another dirt bike thread). Never go cheap on boots, just my opinion.

SG-10, or SG-12 are my picks. SIDI crossfire, and the higher level Alpinestars tech 7 and up are ok.

Currently using SG-12's and love them, great boot. The group I ride with has tried them all and everyone always goes back to SG-10 or SG-12 depending on what boot is on closeout.

Someone asked about the metal tip on the boot, I was told by a Gaerne rep the steel tip provides protection from rocks/terrain splitting the sole at the tip off the boot.

Mike

pscook, cajun636 and MELK-MAN like this.
  2. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

sometimes depends upon what the mud is like. typically you have both options- if it's not too muddy, and you want to dig thru and get to harder ground underneath a thinner layer of mud, use higher pressure to keep the footprint of the tire and dig thru the mud. But usually, and especially if it's deep mud, run less pressure and keep on top of the mud and get a wider footprint.

or just buy a tire like this:

[​IMG]

I ran a set of these (Pirelli MXS tire) out in Dumont Dunes near Las Vegas for a few days. 95% as good as a paddle tire but handled like a normal tire and didn't hit the swingarm. Even bought a 19" rear for my XC bikes so I could run hard and soft terrain tires. This used to be the killer Southwick and mud race tire for a few guys (Stewart won Daytona SX mud bath race on this tire in 2012)

3. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I run the irc m5b evo trying it right now. Lots of mud grip.

Although when I start doing hare scrambles again I'll probably try the Michelin

Attached Files:

4. I'm running Michelin Starcross 5's. I think I'll start at 10 F/R. 10 felt really good last time, I was up at 20 last time (trying to get the bike to slide more) and still had tons of traction.

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i can't stress enough how good a decent boot is to better riding. cheap boots tend to have a big, oversized toe box and feel clunky and stiff. it would be like trying to ride your road race bike with snow ski mits on.. it's worth it to invest in a $300+ pair of boots like sidi (my personal choice, and not their most expensive, i go with the TA2) or gaerne
    that's a good sand tire, but (in my opinion), it's not so good in mud.. unless it's muddy-sand (like the typical Daytona Supercross, or Southwick) :)
    problem with running a sand/paddle tire offroad (again, unless it's almost all sand), is you get very little lateral grip in the harder stuff, rocks, roots. And the darn thing will just run sideways along roots if there is ANY moisture at all..

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I absolutely love my SG12's and I am happy I coughed up the extra dough to buy them every time I wear them. At the end of the day, as tired/sore as I might be, my feet are comfy. No hot spots or anything. Like Melk said, they don't have a mile tall toe box either.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

yep. steel tip does exactly that. Need to check the 3-4 screws on the bottom side and the staples (or screws) on top side periodically. they will need tightened every now and then.

Gaerne sg-10/12 and SIDI crossfires are the biggest sellers, for a reason. they are outstanding boots..
    I have run SIDI for way over a decade. I couldn't believe how awesome a GOOD (ie: expensive) boot was compared to a $150 pair of shit throw - away boots that i had been wearing. You will ride better, as there is so much more feel, and a hinged boot moves enough too.

as John noted above, some used to complain about the tight/small toe box of the sidi boots, that has changed. But in no way is it overly large.. I am now usually wearing heavy socks with same sized boot, where i had to run thin socks before.

there is a difference in the SIDI top of line boot.. the SR (sole replacement) is the big dollar boot, the "TA" is almost $100 less, but you would have to have a pro resole the boot. But for most, that would be YEARS down the road. There is more FEEL with the TA boot, the SR is a little firmer sole, but you can change the sole out to a hard plastic supermoto sole, or replace the current one.. and the SR comes in more color options. The material is different than the TA as well, I just prefer the softer TA boot for woods racing.

rcmike917 likes this.
  8. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Just picked up a yz250fx to play around with, cant wait to get back on the dirt!

9. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

As usually this place doesn't disappoint, too much fukn rain!! No dirt for me at least two weeks with it raining cats and dogs here daily.

Shit pisses me off! I'm like a junky with no drug right now....

cajun636 likes this.
  10. rcmike917

rcmike917 Well-Known Member

Lots of good info here. Out of the group I ride with if they are not using the Gaerne they are using SIDI. Nice boot. Like Melk says they like the "feel" of the sole, helps with modulating the rear brake.

So..basically for anyone new to this.. get good boots:)!

Mike

MELK-MAN and cajun636 like this.
  11. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

Yeah, I messed up there, I bought some $100 O'Neal ones off Amazon, they seem very stout but the toe box is bigger than a freightliner and the sole is so thick you can't feel the rear brake. They look like something Gene Simmons would wear.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    cajun636 likes this.
  12. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Word. It's been raining here off and on for 2 wks....gonna be in the 60's today but just too sloppy.
    Kinda like riding a sportbike in the rain, just not much fun.

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I have Alpinestar Tech 8's. I just liked the classic look, but they've been plenty stout.

14. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

I have the tech 8's as well, great boot but was looking for something a little bit more racier, may try a gaerne.

15. I grooved a set of Med dunlops (I have about 20 brand new ones) for wet but partially rocky terrain. Holy hell. That's the ticket. Outdoor GNCC guy showed me where to groove and how deep. Was an u real difference. Not a lot of tire life but I'd rather have fun than worry about tire life.

16. Posted this in the FB group but I definitely did not get the milage right for the race tomorrow. It's "at least 100 miles"(according to the NHH/AMA rules) and the loop that I'm doing is 40 miles, so the total race sounds like it will be 120 miles. Like Melk said on the tubes its most likely a high average MPH but its still going to be rough.

17. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

@cajun636 , When is this hare scramble race thing ?

18. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Next weekend. In Kentwood LA. But sadly I can't race. But I'm still thinking about going to watch. You should race.

19. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Not without you .

[​IMG]

20. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

You just wanted me there so you'd beat at least one person lol