1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guy Martin

Discussion in 'General' started by mike574, Jan 18, 2017.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Like anything in life."too much of anything is too much". We've all got our times and places.:D

2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Worlds most famous bridesmaid. Love the Guy!

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Is he a prima donna or a weirdo? Everything I've seen leads me to think more the latter but dunno. I've known a number of racers like that, really nice guys but in the paddock they have a reputation for being aloof or not friendly. Usually they're just shy, gets worse when they get some notoriety if they're good.

4. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Read his book "Guy Martin: My Autobiography", it answers lots of the questions.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I watched a documentary about him that led me to believe that there is just something off with him. I've never met him but he came across as a nice guy. Just weird. I mean that in the medical sense. :D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  6. I think it's pretty mental. Apparently from some guys I know that have worked with him... let's just say they hated it. I've chatted with him a couple times and he was very friendly but shockingly shy for the first minute or so but once the engine warmed up enough to turn the choke off he was talking 10 miles a minute. The conversation mainly revolved around what guns I owned and pictures of my Jeep off-roading, both times.

7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

At my first TT I wound up having a few beers with Keith Amor, and he kind of shared those feelings. He said he always liked him but he was getting his real personality and his on-camera personality mixed up.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I remember when the officials nailed him for .01 over the pit lane speed. Think it was the first year they enforced it. He was livid lol.

9. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Keith's quite personable.
    Had a beer with him at Colours after all the racing was done and chatted for a bit.

Guy's good for the sport, to a certain extent that Brandon mentioned.

I think this match up is going to be interesting.
    Guy for the publicity and McPint for the win.

JBraun likes this.
  10. Jedb

You going to show him a wheel this year?
    :)

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Guy said previously he took it as a hobby but this time he's looking at it as a job. We'll see how he does in the races leading up to the TT.

Disappointing to see Brookes throw away the TT on the Norton. Guess it's a paycheck.

12. Jedb

We'll see how Guy does. Personally, I'm not a fan of his, but respect what he's able to do on a bike.
    It would be interesting to see Brookes on a better ride to see if he could improve from his maiden performance.

13. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see if he gets paid.

14. jimmyv138

jimmyv138 Well-Known Member

FWIW, I ran into David Johnson at the TT last year and he told me he was really really surprised by how good the Norton was. He said they have worked out a ton of kinks. During short circuit testing he said the bike is incredible but everytime they go out during the TT the weirdest stuff breaks. He thinks they have a pretty good handle on it so I think Brooks will be well in the top 10 if not top 5 on that bike.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. Engineer brain is one of my theories, but he's also a good mechanic which doesn't usually go with engineer :D He just thinks different.

16. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

Lucky me, my first visit to the Island this year, just in time to see Guy race again.
    He was in NZ for their roads season but apparently underwhelming due to his (local?) Suzuki ride not being up to snuff, for which he got a bit of stick. Not his fault, but people are ready to jump all over him, sounds like.
    Brooke's on the 'Norton' will be interesting too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Screw you. I can design and build shit, then fix it when it breaks.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You seriously trying to tell me you're right in the head?

:crackup:

19. Yes, my Dr said so. You should see the carbon sub enclosure I'm building for the Jeep. It's in the vacuum now. Too bad it will be covered by stock looking carpet. Wanted to make it so you can't tell it's there. Wait until you see the "shocking" redundant security system if someone does try to steal it.

20. I'm actually heading over to the Isle next weekend for the night, they denied my stay at Buckingham Palace so might as well head over there for hot laps in the rental car.