1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody race a VFR400 ?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by cha0s#242, Jun 10, 2016.

1. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

As a former SV racer the comparison hits home though you should probably explain a little. Hard to imagine Honda losing to Yamaha on build quality which as I understand is the major difference between the Suzuki and Hyosung. That and the Hyosung is a cheaper copy of the SV with lower tech suspension and probably frame geometry
    Again hard to imagine a Honda losing on those points especially the "cheap copy" part as the Hondas frame and V4 has little in common with a FZR
    Not that I doubt you but would be interested to hear the specifics of you comparitive analogy
    I have heard here and elsewhere that parts availability is the biggest issue with the VFR. That could be the deal breaker though I am curious what high wear parts are not available

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

The analogy was mostly in regards to parts and setup info availability. That and Honda sucks lol

3. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I currently own both and can tell you with no uncertainty that the Honda in terms of handling and engine power when in stock form is superior in every way. Also the transmission is butter when compared to the FZR. ( I get the LOL too and not picking at you, just FYI) I will tell you that rebuilding the carbs is 1 meeelion times worse on the V4!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    ducatihottie999 likes this.
  4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

For racing purposes, I have to agree. Price and availability in addition to parts availability is just so much better.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

On that we would agree. It's easier if you have some friends across the pond that are willing to help you out on occasion but it's still a task of vigilance to keep one in racing condition.

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

"task of vigilance"?????...........okay okay,you gotta point:D

7. yamatr3

yamatr3 Well-Known Member

8. Venom51

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Seriously? Because I need a airbox or rubbers for a 1990 CB-1 and can't find them anywhere.

10. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

11. grady anderson

Do they have VIN numbers? Not that a race bike needs them but I am looking at one on eBay that shows pics of a frame number which the owner claims is a VIN#. VINs should be 17 characters with the tenth determining the model year. He claims it is a 98 which of course it is not. The frame # would indicate it is a 92.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/192077806346?forcerRptr=true&item=192077806346&viewitem=

Your opinion? Might make sense to have your two and this one to have a parts supply! {:^)

You probably don't remember me but you guys put one of your first ram air ducts on my SV (see avatar) back in 2001. Having you build a VFR400 race bike for me is an interesting idea.

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

That's likely a gray market 400, since the paperwork shown says "date of first registration in the UK." From what I have read, (actual) boat loads of these 400s were imported as learners (limited to 33hp, or something like that), and they covered the gamut of years and conditions, so it very likely is a 1992 bike that was first registered in the UK 1998, but since he imported it from the UK the 1998 designation has continued with the US paperwork (if there is any).

13. Venom51

The NC30 model died in 94 and changed to NC35 in 95 so at best it could be a 94 but certainly not a 98.

14. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

15. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Wow Steve, that is pretty!

16. grady anderson

I wasn't suggesting you had bikes without VINs. I was asking if they had 17 character VINs.
    You say that came later in Japan. Just Honda? There is an 88 FZR400 on eBay with a pic of a 17 character VIN on a plate.
    Is that pic of a bike you have? Certainly not one of the two race candidates you mentioned?

17. britx303

88-90 fzr's had the 17 digits since they were sold as roadbikes here

18. britx303

Shit or get off the pot grady.........daytonas coming up fast:Poke::D

19. grady anderson

Unlike you Opie I have a bike ready for Daytona. :moon:Or have you been busy with your Yamapuzzle? :p
    Just lookin' at options.
    BTW I am high bidder at the moment. :rolleyes:
    Only bidder actually.

20. britx303

There is ALWAYS a Yamapuzzle around here:crackup: Im just about ready with 2 of them,and need a few more things for 2 others now to complete the 2017 lineup:D