1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Italian Vacation

Discussion in 'General' started by VintageWannabe, Jan 13, 2017.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Can't believe it hasn't been said yet...

Tavullia. :moon:

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  2. Phl218

Phl218 .

^ better with an invite

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Shit, you know some people would show up unannounced just for a chance to lick the gate.

Phl218 likes this.
  4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I did.

Phl218 likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I know this isn't in N. Italy like you asked, but just curious if you managed to schedule going a bit south of Rome while you are there? Best Pizza I've had in my life was in Napoli (Naples). Evidently, the area is know for excellent pizza. Large pizza for under 5 Euros is amazing.

If you go there, Pompei is very close and worth seeing.

6. VintageWannabe

VintageWannabe Diggin Deep

Well, now I remember why I keep coming back here - This place delivers! Thanks for all the suggestions!

I should've clarified - I've done my homework on Pisa, I know it's a trap and it's just the tower - but I have a 9 year old along, and there are only 2 things in Europe she knows about - the leaning tower of Pisa, and the Eiffel tower. We'll visit both, as briefly as possible. We're just hopping through Pisa on our way to Florence, where we'll stay 2 nights.

I was considering Bologna, but assumed it would be more city-ish. The factory / museum tour looks pretty great - I think this may be the route we take. Thanks!

Very interesting. I'll look into this, see if it fits in somewhere.

Looking into this as well

I entertained the idea of going south - and there's a lot down there we'd love to see. But we're definitely traveling north to France, so this would just add too much train time. Next trip.

I feel like this will be somewhat of a reconnaissance mission - learn what's there, be better prepared to plan the next trip. Keep the suggestions coming - we're all ears!

7. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

If you decide to do this, you have to book in advance. I just showed up expecting to be able to take the tour, nope, Book online and come back tomorrow. It's also free if you're a Ducati owner. I want to say it was around 10 euro otherwise. It is kind of out there. If you don't have a car you'll have to take a cab. I want to say it was around 20-25 mins each way. Still worth it. The factory portion of the tour was by far the coolest part but no photos allowed unfortunately.

VintageWannabe likes this.
  8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Among other things!

9. splyn

splyn Well-Known Member

Bologna. Ducati museum and food tour http://italiandays.it/

Did the food tour and it was awesome. saw them make parmesan (had taste test and wine), balsamic (had taste and wine) and prosciutto (had taste and wine), then lunch (with wine.)

VintageWannabe likes this.
  10. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

How do we feel about rental cars in Italy. I know trains are plentiful, but for seeing many different places, it seems like a car would be easier

11. Crybaby™

How does one get an invite
    I just might be able to arrange my plans to be in the area the weekend between Austria and GB GP.
    Seems like he might be home that time frame

12. VintageWannabe

VintageWannabe Diggin Deep

I'm not the expert - I've never been over there. But from what I've been reading, the trains are pretty damn simple. There's no parking, no navigating, trains go everywhere and they go often. Unless you're mostly visiting less-populated areas, my take is that the trains are the ticket. Of course, as I said, never been there..

13. Crybaby™

I was thinking to get to some out of the way places. Is a Euro rail pass the best method

14. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Rail pass is expensive but effective. Every time I've gone I've rented a car (except the 1st when I was living in Germany and we got dirt cheap train tix). The Cinque Terra would be easy by train, before they built the road a few years back that was he only way to get there. The villages are only a km or two apart so you can visit all 5 or just a few in a day.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, when we went, the multi country rail pass wasn't cheap but offered the multiple stop setup we were looking for with the option to do more if we felt like it.

16. Crybaby™

How is the language situation around Italy? Are some places better for communicating?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

In Italian? It's great everywhere :D

Boman Forklift and HPPT like this.
  18. Crybaby™

Does English with an Italian accept work? Fugetaboutit, Hey oh, that'sa one spicy meatball, etc

19. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Just move your arms/hands fast...they will understand you. :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I drove a rented car from Milan to Sicily and back just last summer. It was great, but I wouldn't do it again. Parking is absolutely non existent throughout the entire country. Driving in cities, especially Napoli is just plain nuts. Worse then Phnom Penh. If you drive the back roads, you will destroy your body. The roads are all patch jobs and are in horrible shape. I'm sure the autostradas are better. I was popping ibuprofens like candy the entire time.