1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini roadracing in N.E Florida

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by ruckusracing, Nov 26, 2016.

1. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

N.E. Florida will have mini roadracing, thanks to SFLMINIGP and Michael Correa. They have three dates and two tracks, Jan and Apr at the 103rd go kart track (http://www.floridakarting.com/jacksonville-karting/ )and in May at "The Firm "(www.gorally.com)! This is open to kids and adults...50cc up to 190cc motards. Class structure is located at sflminigp.com. Currently the dates at 103rd are open track days, but Micheal stated if the interest is there for a sprint or endurance race, the schedule can be changed to a race. Hope to see some WERA friends out there.

2. propst121

propst121 Member

This is awesome. Do we know the specific dates yet?

3. Will9465

Will9465 Well-Known Member

I thought the jacksonville track pulled back?

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I think Mr Correa might have jumped the gun on 103rd st. I forwarded him all the info I had after a short email exchange.
    Unfortunately the kart club saw his schedule then put an event in that weekend slot.
    Whats it going to take to run there? At a minimum... matching what the kart club pays in annual use fee, $5,001.00 plus the creation of a 501.3c and petitioning the District Manager. If we had that...we could then be in a position to negotiate "weekend use".
    Ironically the track is actually owned by the City of Jax, managed by the Parks Dept who lets the kart club have exclusive use of the facility.
    Also the kart club has "for profit" events at the facility...even though local ordinances expressly prohibit that.
    I could show up there with a home made go kart that leaks oil or chemicals or damages the surface & the Cops wont care... but show up on a properly prepped mini in full leathers the Police act like you are part of a biker gang...lol. Even go so far as to claim you are "violating Federal law". But when asked which specific law... they just double down on the bully tactics.

When I figured all this out last year plus doing the insurance cost estimates... it would take maybe 40 local guys at $150/yr to get it going.
    Doesn't sound like much but Id say we might have 20 guys that already have leathers/gear. Anyway... last thing I would want to do is herd some cats every week to get a standing event started. The facility has lights so weekday or weekend eves would be ideal.

5. Will9465

I was looking forward to it too.....

6. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I am happy to see European Rally School make a come back. Ivor ran it back when I raced there. I guess now that it is call The Firm someone else runs it. That asphalt had the same grip in the pouring rain as it did when it was dry and sunny ???

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Will be coming to some 2017 events in Central FL with my 7yr old daughter

Cam Morehead likes this.
  8. Moto234

Moto234 "Momentum is Your Only Friend"

For what its worth I'd support the effort, you'd think 40 at $150yr would be feasible. Would be nice if a lawyer rider got fired up enough to take them on or the AMA. How in the world do they get away with that BS at 103rd Street with a City owned park.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

There has been some progress made... so maybe later this year "formal" events can be scheduled.
    Mike @ SouthFLMiniGP has been putting in the time & effort on making something happen. From what I
    understand the "kart club" has been friendly & amicable so far.

The only thing I see as an immediate issue at 103rd street is the copper that lives on property. Hes a sworn police officer but
    doesn't understand the difference between City laws & rules...lol. Usually laws have pesky statute #s near them.

10. Moto234

Good to hear. Standing by.

11. Moto234

Anything new on this?

12. TurboBlew

Im not on the "Book" and have not heard anything other than there is an upcoming SoFLmini event at Starke next month.

13. Will9465

We just raced PBIR kart track today. check out sflminigp.com, or on Facebook. There was a summer break and now we're back in action.

14. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

what kind of bikes race in your super mini class? what kind of lap times are they running at bushnell? the smallest displacement i could easily build my bike for is 105cc. (currently 125cc)

15. Will9465

Super minis are mostly 150r but I did see a Grom in there last time. My times at Bushnell is around 1:05 and I'm usually around 3-4 place. What bike do you have?

16. mattology

ive only been to bushnell twice but i have a long way to go before i'm doing a 1:05!! my best is a 1:10.1 on my aprilia RS50 hybrid.

i am obviously very new to this whole thing.

here is a video -

17. Will9465

You should come out anyways. The best part about the mini Gp is it is a very relaxed and fun atmosphere.

18. mattology

yeah i for sure will try and make it out to a race to check it out, but as it stands right now, i am over the displacement limit lol. but maybe next year, with some more track time under my belt, i will have the 105 motor built and who knows where we will go from there.

19. Will9465

They have other classes like f2, maybe it will be legal in that class? Maybe they would make an exception for you.

20. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

Nothing at 103rd yet. There City owned track is managed by a kart association. Friend is trying to get ahold of them. Starke is a go

Cam Morehead likes this.