1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Transit Diesel

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Jan 5, 2017.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Like others have said, you're not getting a 4mpg deficit when you're using 350hp in an ecoboost. You're getting 4mpg. :moon:

2. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Correct, except for the Eco Boost V6, it tugs like a diesel. Effortless towing power at 2k rpm.

However....

3. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

^

That's the issue towing with the V6 Eco Boost. Pulls incredibly well. Makes you pay for it :)

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

our 2016 base transit gasser only holds ~15 gallons...even on E & 50 miles past the low fuel alert. So far my best range has been ~360 miles and it took 14.6 gallons. Thats not being gentle with the pedal or turning the a/c off either. :D Also no cruise control. :( I think I like it better than my 3.6 ecoboost pickup other than the horrid visibility.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On visibility - any windows in the back?

Long term thinking one would be great for WERA to replace the Dodge pickup when it needs it. Backup camera is easy enough but can't have the girls driving it with blind spots.

6. TurboBlew

its pure stripped down cargo so all metal every where and it has a cargo wall behind front seats. They are available with windows. You sit about car height and only have mirrors to check your blind spot, which you need to do vigorously.
    You definitely can fit ALOT of stuff in the short one (dual side doors)
    Looks kinda like this
    [​IMG]

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah okay - I'd have to do windows in the back doors and since I'd want a back seat I'm thinking doors on each side and those would need windows of course. Had an E150 with the doors on one side and windows in them as well as the rear - wasn't great but wasn't too bad.

I don't mind mirrors only, used to that with the RV. Just need good mirrors (especially fisheyes) and you have to check them all the time - but I do that anyway even with great sightline.

8. TurboBlew

with winders its a whole different vehicle! :D
    [​IMG]

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

My Sprinter has the rear cam wired to be on when the parking lights are on- works incredibly well for both rear and side visibility.

rk97 likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nice! I'm about to wire up a camera on the Jeep, trying to decide if I want it powered with lights or switched. I don't have DRL's turned on so the lights would still effectively be switched.

11. Tristan

Even though my van has windows all around they're useless with the divider wall and all the stuff I carry. The camera is on pretty much 100% of the time I'm driving.

12. Tristan

Isn't that a Transit Connect? Or are the full size Transits a lot sleeker now?

bored&stroked and Cam Morehead like this.
  13. TurboBlew

yes its a connect.

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Darn, your gas mileage had me all excited, but I don't think those are heavy duty enough or roomy enough for a forklift mechanic? We have motor oil, hydraulic oil, 5-10 different starters, alternators, jacks, big air compressor, and then a bunch of parts, nuts, bolts, etc.

Not sure if it is true, but I heard when those Transit Connects first came out, Napa put them oin their fleet everywhere and had so many problems, they started removing all of them? I thought I heard it was transmission issues, but hopefully that is resolved now.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:offtopic:Rob, have you checked your private messages in the past couple of days? :)

16. TurboBlew

hadnt heard that about napa probs but I have a friend with a shop in North Jersey that did lots of diagnostic work on the early models. Many were having wire chaffing issues. One mechanic he went behind tried to solve a 10 amp fuse problem with a 40 amp unit...lol. The burnt insulation smell from that one still makes me ill.

Payload isnt great but we aren't hauling heavy tools or equipment. Just some ladders, hand tools, and assorted materials. You could definitely put 2 motorcycles in the back so long as they weren't Goldwings or baggers. Also I was pretty sure it would tow ~2000lbs.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I probably need to weigh a few of my vans and see what we have. I know my seasoned mechanics have big tool boxes full of tools. plus all the inventory I put into the truck. I know we got popped for being overweight on our Isuzu box van years ago. My top guy threw a motor or industrial battery in there, to bring it to the shop, and my fine was over $2000.

Don't do that anymore.

18. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

If you need seats then you can only get a passenger side door - the wagons don't have driver side doors, only the cargo vans do. Visibility out the back even with windows is poor because of the dual doors, but the mirrors are terrific. My wife has no problems toting the kids around and parking the thing. You should hear the comments she gets from the other moms in the school pickup line.

19. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

Zero miles to empty on the diesel is a 22 gal fill so that's 420-500 mile range easy. The Ecoboost at 80 mph would be only a 360 mile range. But if you get the low roof it's gotta be at least 1-2 mpg better. I got the med roof so I could roll dirt bikes in without tipping them.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well that sucks, I wanted minivan style back seat access. Maybe a cargo then with windows in the doors and I'll put in my own seat. Did that in the cargo van I described earlier (folded into a bed to boot since I camped in it when Evelyne wasn't with me).