1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Anybody have opinions on / experience with Underwood or Buffalo Bore ammo? I'm looking primarily at .38 +P, .357 short barrel, and 9mm.

2. Mike Dillon

Mike Dillon Well-Known Member

Both make full-house 10mm using modern projectile designs. That's how I came across them. I've had no issues. There's a youtube channel who does pretty thoughtful ballistic gel tests on their offerings, if you're interested. It's tnoutdoors or something like that.

tiggen likes this.
  3. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I run underwood ammo in the wife's G42. It's definitely a hot load as you can feel the recoil difference between it and store bought ammo

tiggen likes this.
  4. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I
    I'm an Underwood ammo whore in 380, 9mm, and 45acp. Chit it HOT in the +P+ loads. Have about 800 (yes 800) rds of their +P+ 9mm in 115, 124, and 147gr loads. All in the Gold Dot bullet option. The 147gr goes over 1200-ish fps in my G17 (std pressure 147 loads are more around 950fps), and is now my go-to. Used to be a Corbon whore, but notsomuch now. Otherwise I'm at over 3000 rds (not counting the cheap FMJ fodder) of +P and +P+ 9mm. Same for .45.

The .380 Underwood is at std 9mm velocity. I think the 102gr HP (Golden Sabre) is around 1100fps. Recoil is very hot. Use it sparingly in a Colt Mustang Pocketlite.

tiggen likes this.
  5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Going next weekend and I've narrowed it down to a Walther PPQ or HK VP9.

BrianC636 likes this.
  6. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

Shop near me has VP9 tactical on sale for 649.

7. BrianC636

Vp9 is my next gun with an EMP 4" to follow. My BIL has a vp40 and that thing is sweet for a .40.

8. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I didn't search back through 107 pages, but has anyone done a personal experience comparison on G19 vs. G26 for carry?

Here's my problem - love my G19. Had it almost 10 years. I don't like carrying it. Subcompacts look better for carry, but hate the short grip. I might be able to accept a minimal grip extension on the magazine, but I'm looking for personal perspective.

I also like the Sig P320, but its pretty top heavy and don't know if it'd carry as well as the Glock. I looked at the HK P30SK, but I didn't love it.

Then there's single stacks, which I probably just need to go shoot to see if I can deal with it. The G43 seems to be on special everywhere, but I wasn't sure I would like it. I held one and it felt like a toy in my hand. Same with the Springfield single stack 9MM (can't remember the model). Probably just need to get used to being so skinny.

9. BrianC636

Does a double stack fit your hand better? Check out the MOD.2 stuff from Springfield. Double stack subcompact but has a similar grip setup like the H&K.

10. Lawn Dart

Its both really. I'm not a big guy by any means, but I have a pretty wide hand and the combination of shorter grip PLUS being skinnier just feels really weird to me. I like the idea, especially since it'll hide better than a double-stack, but the double stack fits ever so slightly better.

11. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I have the 26 (and 17), but typically use a 19 mag in it (effectively making into a shorter 3.5" barreled 19). But like the versatility of being able to use it in 26 mode (smaller 26 mag with +1 floor plate installed).

12. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

I had an XDS 9 for a while. Concealed much better then my G19. Nice shooting gun too. No issues with the short, skinny grip. Maybe see if you can find a range with rental G43, XDS9, or G26 and put a few rounds through 'em to see what you think. Thinking about picking up a G43 myself.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got a 26 - it's as wide as my Beretta 92's which is my issue with carrying more so than the barrel or mag length. I found myself just using one of the 92's rather than the baby so it stays in the safe now. I did get a PPK for a small carry but it has a recall so it stays in the safe too. I think one of the grandpa 45's would actually imprint less than the 26 so going to get a holster for them soon. BTW - Safe is my short version of lost in a boating accident :D

14. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Both 45s.
    [​IMG]

My dads new un-shot P89 9mm I inherited a couple yrs ago.
    [​IMG]

Mustang 380 while backpacking solo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Nice Serial number..

16. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

I had a G19 for years. It was supposed to be a carry gun, but I never carried it because I couldn't get comfortable with it. I ended up carrying a full size 1911 and found that it was easier to conceal and more comfortable. So I transitioned to a compact 1911 and it's even better. Try a single stack and see if you can get comfortable with it. I have pretty big hands, and while some of the single stacks feel small, a 1911 does not.

17. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Any Walther fans? Went shooting the other day and picked up my old P99 and put around 100 rounds through it. Grouped a hell of a lot better than my STI and my tuned G34. I guess it just points well for me. Thinking of the Q5 for limited class. How's the PPQ frame vs the P99 frame if anyone knows?

18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Looking through their pics, they had a bunch of them with all kinds of sayings like that.

19. Lawn Dart

I've heard that about 1911s. Ever since I went to a composite frame, I never looked back. I've always put the 1911 in the "I'll get one later" category. CB186 used to post pictures of Kimber 1911s that were beautiful, but I never considered one for carry.

20. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

That's what I always said until I shot my first 1911. First time shooting one I was hooked.

triplestrong and galloway840 like this.