1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do you buy you truck/car tires?

Discussion in 'General' started by casjoker, Dec 31, 2016.

1. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Need new tires for my truck wondering where do you guys shop? I have been using Firestone service centers for a number of years. Generally been happy just wondering about other options.

Thinking about switching rims too. Currently, have 20" rims would there be any advantage to switching to 18" rims?

truck is a stock crew cab 4wd 09 chevy.

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Tire rack.

Edit: and my mechanic has tire machine and balancer etc.

Unfortunately my local vendor screwed me one time too many and so the supporting local business thing (which was my normal approach) went out the window.

I figure I split the difference now.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  3. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

My local chain will price match anything.

I go to my local tire shop anyway, in part because I know the owner, but they have always gotten me prices that don't need to be matched to be competitive.

Plus they have a yellow lab and free coffee in the lobby. 4 tires in 30 mins, with fair pricing. I'll support a local business.

dsmitty37 likes this.
  4. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

Tire rack... I have a friend owns a shop and he mounts and balance 4 tires for me for $100

5. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

Discount Tire Direct lately, they sponsor some of the car forums I'm on and most of the time the delivered price beats Tire Rack.
    I've used Tire Rack a few times too with good results.
    The last time I bought tires my local shop matched online pricing so I went through them.

6. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Discount Tire (who has free shipping) or Tire Rack unless someone local will match it. Last time Firestone matched Tire Rack including tax and threw in road hazard.

7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Lately Amazon has had the best prices. I've used Discount Tire Direct and Tirerack in the past and still check prices there first.

8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Local, have a friend that's a manager at a shop, get them slightly over cost.

9. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

We have a Discount Tire locally, and they seem to have the best pricing when everything is all added up...

10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

My local tire dealer went out of business. Tire Rack effed me on a dinged up wheel they sent so eff them. Gonna try an independent in Athens next I think.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I went to a local tire place the last two times. They had exactly what I wanted, were about the same price as the internet dealers and I didn't have to find a local shop that would mount and balance them and not f@ck it up.

rk97 and V5 Racer like this.
  12. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Discount tire is all I use now for the past 10-12 years ... will match or beat anyone's advertised offer , fast great service and will give you free tire rotation.

13. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Costco

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I did that once and it didn't suck but the tires did.

15. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Discount Tires/Americas Tires will price match Costco and most of their waiting rooms have good reading material: Roadracing World!

16. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Discount Tire has the best price besides Costco around here but they are always so busy I got sick of it. I tried NTB for convenience. It's a one stop shop for oil change, alignment, rotation and balance plus the hours are better. I just put a set on my truck from Costco, $300 cheaper out the door than NTB and about $120 cheaper than Discount. 7,000 miles and so far so good.

17. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

There are so many of them around here that I haven't had any trouble w getting in or their service. The last time I bought trailer tires I paid an extra $15 or so for "insurance" and when one blew up 11 months later they replaced it free. They're nationwide so I like that! They're called Discount Tires in most places, but called Americas Tires around where I live.

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Prolly doesn't need to be said but 18" wheels will give you another inch of sidewall if you stay with the same diameter tire and you're looking to soften the ride a bit or protect the rim a little more from potholes.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's why I didn't go 20's on the jeep.

20. Plus they suck on rocks.