1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2004 Ducati 749R

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by Eshber, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Eshber

Eshber Well-Known Member

I bought this bike one year ago after selling a perfectly good R6 because I wanted to try a twin. In the interest of disclosure I have had pretty bad luck with it, but it's not really the bike's fault. Nor is it mine, as much as the conspiring of a perfect storm of events can be my fault. An MRA racer in Denver put this together 3 or 4 years ago and sold it to someone in St. Louis to raise funds for an alternate racing program. I bought it from that guy last fall. I took it out for the season's first test and tune at UMC in March and promptly broke a lifter which caused a catastrophic vertical cylinder failure. I set out to find replacement parts for the engine and due to their cost I formulated a contingency plan until I could put funds together. I bought a 999s motor from Imperial Sportbikes and dropped it in, put in a new Microtec ecu, replaced the worn YoYo clutch with a sweet new STM slipper, and had the shock refreshed and the fork seals changed. This all occurred over a four month period while I waited for the correct nut not supplied with the clutch to be delivered, troubleshooting a (non-existent) problem with the original Nemesis ecu, and finding a suitable fuel tank (because I didn't want to race with the larger R "Unobtanium" tank). While on a trip to North Dakota, I tripped on a curb while dodging hailstones and tore up my shoulder, ending my "season". In the time since, I've got the parts needed to rebuild the trick R motor (see below) and it's being done as I write at MotoStation. I bought a new set of Hotbodies bodywork that is still in the box. I also found a good 2005 749 Dark with a straight frame and clean title, the box swingarm, an Ohlins shock and fork internals and a good running motor with 12,000 miles on it for a parts (and wheel) bike. I sold the bodywork, dash, ecu, immobilizer and fuel cap, but I have everything else. I have also procured a spare new fuel pump, another fuel tank (total of 3), spare rearsets and bars, a spare Ohlins steering stabilizer, and more I'm forgetting. There is also a big bin full of clutch plates, brake and clutch levers, bars, nuts and bolts, etc. etc.

I now need a hard reset. I want to sell the bike, all the spares including the new R engine and the '05 Dark, and start from scratch. Let's say $10,000. For Everything. PM me with questions, concerns, and comments. I will respond promptly. Send me an email or phone for pics. Thanks for your interest. Search Ducati 749R on this forum and you'll see the original ad and pics. They still load, I just checked. The bike looks exactly the same except with my livery.

This is the original ad placed here in the Forum. Note: I am switching the RS kit cams to stock R cams, keeping the big bore and replacing both 100mm cylinders, pistons, rods with new, and using used R heads. Attempting to make it more reliable/less finicky.

2004 Ducati 749R - Race bike only, please don't ask me about converting it back into a street bike. MSO only, no title.
    This is bike number 088 from 2004, I bought this bike just over a year ago and we did basically a nut and bolt restoration on it. The bike was disassembled, frame blasted/painted red; swing-arm, wheels and sub-frame were blasted and powder coated flat black. Tank repainted red, new race bodywork painted red/white. It really is a beautiful bike. I’ve ridden the bike twice since it was built; I am selling to further my son’s road race program. This bike was originally built by Desmoto Sport, all of the work done last year was done by Boulder Motorsports.

848 big bore kit, new pistal pistons and 100mm cylinders last year
    RS kit cams*
    RS kit bellmouths (velocity stacks)
    Heads lightly ported to match RS head flow #s (done at Desmoto sport)*
    RS kit 57mm SS Termi exhaust Ti can, was powder coated, I had it blasted
    Nemesis ECU and quickshifter
    Carbon fiber airbox with large runners
    Dyno tuned for Sunoco 110 made 131rwhp at BMS have 40 gallons of fresh fuel that will go with the bike if needed.
    Factory RS titanium rods and valves
    Valves checked/adjusted
    Quick-turn push/pull throttle kit
    Brembo front master
    Brembo Billet Clutch Master
    Brembo HP rotors with Vesrah and SBS pads
    Captive rear wheel quick change kit
    Slipper clutch
    05-07 style braced swingarm
    Factory ohlins forks and shock with upgraded superbike valving, rebuilt last year
    RS front fairing stay with on/off switch - keyless
    Lightweight battery (one of the very small 1lb batteries, cranks the bike well and seems to not ever need to be charged)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Bmauger likes this.
  2. Eshber

Eshber Well-Known Member

Need to add: Also has the billet fuel pump base with the upgraded quick connect fuel fittings, and a GripOne TC system.

Attached Files:

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

So you are going back to a stock bore, R heads and cams?

The Kit RS cams are just the exhaust, or intake as well?

Nice bike

4. Eshber

Eshber Well-Known Member

I'm staying with the big bore, have new cylinders, pistons, and rods. The cams were both kit RS, I'm replacing both heads using stock R heads with stock cams.

Thanks.

5. Eshber

Eshber Well-Known Member

6. Eshber

Eshber Well-Known Member

The 849 motor is ready. Bump

7. Eshber

Eshber Well-Known Member

8. Eshber

Eshber Well-Known Member