1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

95 ZX7 Racer?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by jimne245, Nov 28, 2016.

1. jimne245

jimne245 Well-Known Member

So the potential for silly is strong to outright lunacy here, but have a line on a basket case 95 zx7. Always wanted to have a go again at riding a zx7 since my first 750 was a 91 zx7. But have no idea what I'd be getting myself into.

Can it be turned in to a competitive racer? Is the vintage class it is good for only Superbike rules? Can parts be had for these anymore? Is there a better year zx7 to go after?

Any thoughts to experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks - Jim

2. 418

418 Expert #59

Stock they're heavy and slow but ZX9 motor with Zlock big bore kit would wake it up pretty good.

People forget that the ZX7 was the privateers choice in SBK right after the Ducs.

Again, they're pigs in stock form though. IIRC, 525lbs wet .

Do it!

3. jimne245

jimne245 Well-Known Member

I guess Kawasaki Heavy Industries took the name to heart - 525 plus my arse in the seat. Neither of which sound like they can be overcome with a slight diet. What to do, what to do....maybe go find a 91/92? Any better? But guess parts might be an issue there. Sigh.:(

Thanks for your input though.

4. lance89

lance89 Well-Known Member

I raced my 95 zx7/9 in V7hw for 2 seasons. Won 2 national championships. Great bike. I miss mine. Parts are everywhere. I had a stock 94 zx9 motor. I did do some custom parts. I still have a brand-new fiberglass air box. Lance

5. jeff johnson 32

jeff johnson 32 Well-Known Member

Hello Lance. Do you still have your 600?

VFR#52 likes this.
  6. lance89

Yes, I actually have 2. I would love to make some one a deal on every thing I have.

7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

You have a zx7 too,or just 600's?

8. lance89

I sold the ZX7/9 a couple years ago. I have 2 95zx6r

9. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Ahhh,I know where theres a good class for those:D

10. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I picked up a nearly free 94 ZX7 about 2 years ago, After tearing it all down to every last nut and bolt and creating a price list for every single item it needed ( or wanted) to be a decent race bike it topped out over $7k, then I just decided to part it out.

See thread:
    http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/93-95-zx7-help-needed.278797/

11. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

Are you looking to have fun or striving for the national #1?
    The former do it, the latter, choose another bike.

12. lance89

El skwid, I can't believe you don't have faith in the great ZX7 being a championship winning bike.