1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. blake

blake Well-Known Member

My daily is a Polar m400. Great watch if you're a fitness nut. It does gps, activity tracking, heart rate, and syncs wirelessly to a phone app that shows everything in neat little graphs and charts.

[​IMG]

My nice watch is an Earnshaw Flinders. Pic really doesn't do it any justice.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

2. I like that, just got a new watch but need another daily that matches brown/ beige. I'm sick of dark pants, need a change.

3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I thought that was a Hublot. :D

4. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I stopped in a Shinola store the other day and I was surprised to see how many different things they make other than watches, but then I was also taken aback by how little of it they actually make themselves. Other than the watches (they do make their own cases), they also have a turntable which is really a VPI, a pocket knife that's a Benchmade, a bicycle that's a Waterford, etc. It seems that other than assembling and putting their name on things, very little is actually made by them.

5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

They are a Branding and lifestyle company.
    They are an assembler, not a manufacturer.

Their Rambler GMT based on the Ronda Quartz. $750 retail for the watch.
    $17 movement at Esslinger.

6. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

7. Jedb

That's a very good price for the SKX007-J

I like what Shinola's trying to do, in that they are based out of Detroit, trying to keep jobs local, and used US based companies for their re-branding. Waterford make very good bicycles. Benchmade has a great reputation, etc. I wish that they had a longer term strategy with their watches to have a domestic movement used/created/made here in the states. That's an effort I would put money into.

8. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

They originally only made the straps. That was the only thing made here in the US.
    I was unaware they made their own cases now.
    When did they start making the cases? I think they were discussing making their own dials for awhile also.

Ride safe,
    AAron

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They're also talking about doing their own movements. No idea if they are, am or ever will and I kind of don't care.

10. Jedb

Are there any domestic US movements?

RGM was the only one that came to mind.
    Kobold uses ETA/Ronda

11. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I thought that's what I heard the guy say, but I'm looking at their site and there the cases are listed as being from China.

There was very little in the store that interested me. The watches are all over sized and most of the other goods can be sourced elsewhere without a dumb name. The name makes me think of shoe polish.

12. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Sitting at the downtown Renaissance Hotel in Phoenix right now. May be making a run into Scottsdale tomorrow to visit the Omega Boutique. The Speedmaster '57, titanium & leather really has my eye. Wish me luck! :eek:

Knotcher likes this.
  13. Jedb

Get me one while you are there... ;)
    Tell Justin hello for me.

14. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I hate you Jed. You are the one that posted a pic of that watch. I'm afraid that I may be $10k poorer tomorrow thanks to you! :p

Justin is doing well. He got married this last summer and I now have a grand-daughter "in the oven". I should be a grand-daddy by the end of March. :D

15. Jedb

Glad I could help in your decision making process. :p
    It's a beautiful watch, and I'll be covetous and jealous all at once. :)

Congrats to him and his wife on the upcoming racer! All the best to the three of them.
    :)

16. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I'm loving my double black speedmaster more and more each day.

17. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

So...

It's seems that there is only one of those watches (titanium on leather) at all of the Omega Boutiques in the southwest region. Costa Mesa, CA I believe has it.

It will be mine but it will take a few days to actually have it on my wrist. Bought it today in Scottsdale. It's supposed to be over-nighted to Scottsdale and then shipped from there to me. I'll likely get it next Tuesday. All shipping is being taken care of and they gave me enough of a discount that the OTD price is less than list. I'm pretty happy right now. :cool:

Well, except for not having a new watch yet... o_O

18. Jedb

Congratulations. :)
    Post up pics when you get it.

As I said above, I'm jealous & covetous as well as happy for you, all at once!

19. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Awesome! That is really the only Speedy that I'm attracted to. Congrats!

20. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

RGM is the only one making movements.
    Kobold is making their own cases using movements as you stated.

Ride safe,
    AAron