1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benchmade 940?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

I would say there is plenty of hype when you buy it for $400 and sell it for $700 because people wanted them and couldn't get them. I had one before you could buy them from retailers. Anyway I wasn't a fan of it. Blade had slight play and everything I was reading about his customer service made me decide to sell it. It's a good looking knife but imo there's better.

2. This. I can't justify a really high end pocket knife. If I'm in any situation that I need more than what a lower end pocket knife can do I'm in some bigger shit anyway. I don't mind sharpening mine a bit more often. I guess a lot comes down to what you use them for as well.

Scotty87 likes this.
  3. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

I was saying the newer ZT hinderers are a better buy than the xm-18. I owned an xm-18 and sold it.

4. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

They Hinderer's have come way down in price since they have become widely available, but are still in the $400-$500 range. I just don't see paying that kinda cash for a pocket knife. I have a Hinderer designed, USA made ZT0560 that I paid $150 for. It's an absolute beast of a knife. I imagine that the very similar XM-18 is a better knife, but not THAT much better. The steel is probably better on the XM-18, but Elmax is pretty decent.

5. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I can't get over the fact that your parents spawned 2 of you.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

He's the nice, calm one with a filter on his brain and mouth.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm rocking a Benchmade Mel Pardue today. Nice work knife I've had well over ten years. Favorite is my ZT350ts by far. I'm looking at adding another with cf scales. My SOG Blink is the dress knife. Classy little assisted opener. Razor sharp.

(Somebody mentioned bladeforums, I'm a member over there just rarely visit.)

8. A few times a day easily. I got my spyderco 5 years back as a gift when I was the best man in a wedding. Always a use for it.

9. clutchnup

clutchnup Well-Known Member

Benchmade griptilian as a EDC for me. Made it a WAVE opening like a Emerson, Great knife.

10. wookie

wookie Well-Known Member

PRO-TECH is Another american made company to consider. Had a TR-2 for EDC about 5 years now and its tough as a railroad spike and cuts every time i pull it out of my pocket.I also have a few other models and some benchmade's as well as SOG and Kershaw and just about every other big name brand out there. each have pros and cons but you really cant go srong with any of the reputable american companies. One caveat, Benchmade gave me a bit of a hassle about sending in an automatic Infidel for repairs one time but no other issues from thereand if you walk into any Benchmade dealer in america, theyll sharpen your knife for you while you wait most of the time or you can send it to Benchmade for lifetime warranty repairs no questions asked. Pro-tech however has gone out of their way to help me with one issue and another call simply for info and a live person answered before the third ring. D2 steel is very hard and is difficult to sharpen (at least for me compared to 154cm) so i personally stay away from it on a knife i plan to use alot.

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

You take a knife in to have it sharpened? Do you have someone hold your d*ck so you can pee? Lord almighty, that's pretty lame. I'm drinking so don't get to upset.....:Poke: No ex-boyscouts around here. I guess.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  12. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Not what you asked op but I like these, he started out in a tiny garage. I think he still works from there now but has better equipment. Dude off an mma forum I frequent.

http://www.bushkillblades.com/

13. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

He didn't say he specifically he has his knife sharpened, but 3 things quickly why it's not lame & I don't like benchmade
    1) some people can't or shouldn't be sharpening knives and they know it, good on them (and a nice sharpener, edge pro or wicked edge is on par with a v.nice knife)
    2) sends a message that BM is a solid brand with dealer network and solid customer support
    3) a sharp knife is more enjoyable and chances are you ppl will think better of the brand, maybe even buy another or recommend one to others, so this makes that easy to achieve
    Also in the age of online sales, prob not a bad thing either for retailer walk ins either as bricks and mortar only stands a chance with the value add.

And having someone hold your member whilst peeing or bathing would be awesome à la Coming to America.

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Sharpening a knife takes about a minute...a stone a little 3in1 oil and you're good to go. I just can't imagine all the extra effort to take it somewhere. Clockwise on one side, counter-clockwise on the other, just like they taught me in BSA.

15. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

I have the Benchmade 530 series and love, love that knife. Great for err day. So thin too.

S Tsotsoros likes this.
  16. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

The USA made Kershaws are probably some of the best bang for the buck knives out, the speed safe flipper models are so dann fast to open and Kershaw warranty is top notch. Zero tolerance are quite nice as well, Benchmade are great quality but I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a pocket knife, specially when it gets lost or confiscated.

17. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Sweet, sounds like you know what you are doing. There's many ways to sharpen a knife depending the finish you want. e.g. not taking the p1ss here, the top edge of a car window glass works in a pinch, as does the gritty underside of a ceramic cup, both as last resort obviously.

18. User_Name

User_Name PASSWORD

I've carried the 940 every day since I got it for Xmas last year. It has surpassed my high expectations. The green finish still looks good even though I mistreat it and sometimes throw my keys in the same pocket. It still flips out effortless. It's hard to find a flaw with it really. I once cut the entire plastic inner fender off of a car. That dulled it pretty good but it came back for more. Do it.

19. slowohioboy344

slowohioboy344 Well-Known Member

I love my Benchmade. There are other great knives out there as well but you cannot go wrong with BM.

Edge retention on these is great, I have caped and quartered large game with mine and it was still more sharp than others in camp who had yet to use their knives.

20. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

What kind of super steel is in that thing if it can go 20 years of use without even 1 sharpening?!