1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benchmade 940?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Don't get me wrong, the benchmade is a very very good knife, just never thought i'd spend that much.

If you want a 'dress knife' have a look at one of these:
    CKRT Hissatu
    CKRT Heiho
    Boker Kwaiken

2. Mike Dillon

Mike Dillon Well-Known Member

Firstly, I'd like to apologize for the nerdiness of this response. The 940 is quite nice at it's price point. It comes in different modern higher end steels, CPM-S30V being the standard option. Of the available locking mechanisms in a folding knife it's one of my favorites. For me, the 940 is too small. But size is totally subjective. If you're looking for tough as nails and American made take a look at Emerson (one of the OG's of hard use American made knives). The 940 is more gentlemanly than tough. But, again, this is all subjective. Someone mentioned the Benchmade 710 which is probably my favorite production knife. It is larger than the 940 and "tougher" as a result. Blade HQ, Knifeart, and Knifeworks are nice retailers to check things out.

The 940 would be a great gift.

3. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Benchmade griptilian 550 for an everyday tough knife. Also wouldn't go for the Hinderer. Had an xm-18 and sold it. Way too much hype on that knife and not worth the money. The zero tolerance Hinderer models are more inline with what they should cost. For the $400+ knife I like striders and they will actually stand behind the warranty.

4. Mike Dillon

Mike Dillon Well-Known Member

Agreed.

In knives, you do get what you pay for. Up to a point. The location of that point is quite subjective. To each their own!

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Shit, f@ck, damn. Yeah, wanted to get the order in because a lot of people are selling out of folding knives fast this year. It'll do what it needs to and then for later in the year, I'll know a lot more for the next one.

Thanks for the feedback and please, keep posting and "learning" me. I'm thinking I want one now after all your feedback and then there's his birthday. He's earned it after all the snap on and mac he has "loaned" me over the years. :up:

6. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Don't sweat it, that's still good steel and a good knife.

7. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Strider. FTW.

8. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Some superstitious types say gifting knives can symbolise severing the relationship so you are supposed to include a coin (or whatever nominal amount) with the knife, so that the recipient can use said coin to 'pay' for the knife. I always forget.

9. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Kershaw Skyline FTW great EDC

10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I have several Kershaws, rotate them through as EDC as the situation warrants. They're not flashy or the absolute best, but it's a pretty damn good knife for ~$40. I like the scallion, it disappears in my pocket and I've never felt I needed something bigger.

11. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Fixed.

DK, I love my bench made griptilian. Picked it up for about 80$ if I recall. I'm a knife snob and this one suits my every day use needs.

12. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Dave, I prefer a smaller blade for edc, and I love both my mini griptilian sheepsfoot and my mini auto stryker drop point from Benchmade. The axis lock mechanism is worth the price. But, I also love my rat 2 from Ontario knife company for a fraction of the cost. 440c, 154cm, and aus8 steel, respectively, iirc.

13. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

You mean the Strider that uses a Hinderer lock bar design?

Strider builds a great knife as well, they feel more "raw" overall. Never realized there was "hype" surrounding the XM-18. Used (abused) one as my EDC since not too long after they came out. Best folder I've ever owned..

14. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Think he meant the older hinderer designed ZT560/561 with elmax, basically a poor man's hinderer. Tad large for edc but still a great knife.

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

You can never have too many knives. I have a bunch and still always look at more. I have a variety of Kershaw, Benchmade and Gerber all of which I carry at various times, sometimes because I like one I haven't carried in a while. Get lots of knives. I even sometimes carry a Schrade Old Timer that I have had for 40 years.

16. Lol

17. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I only carry Emerson. Their commander and super commander are amazing. Plan on around $300

18. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

As someone who has never even considered the idea of carrying a knife, what is the purpose? How often do you use these things? Just curious.

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I don't get the expensive knife idea. I buy $15 knifes, i use them hard, like multiple times a day for everything like cardboard, wood and sometimes even wire. I'm not afraid to sharpen them and when they wear out I go buy another.....they're just a tool....then again I wear a Timex so what the hell do I know? :Poke:

20. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Check out BladeForums for all the info you ever want to know about knives. It has a robust classifieds section, with all kinds of cool knives listed.

When I'm in the market for a new knife, I'll research it, check retail prices, then wait for that particular model to show up in the BF classifieds. Most knives that get listed are technically used, but are really new. They'll get taken out of the box, or maybe carried a couple of times. These are generally well priced. Occasionally you'll see a heavy user, but they are priced accordingly. If you see a knife you want, and it's priced well, you have to jump on it or it will gone in minutes. I've recently bought a zero tolerance 0560, and a Benchmade Ritter Griptilian that were in brand new condition for waayyy less than retail price.

Here's an example of some recent good buys I'm seeing: Spyderco did a limited edition sprint run of Paramilitary 2, in M4 steel and carbon fiber handle. Very sweet knife. Street price through a retailer is around $220.00. I've been seeing them selling on BF for around $180.00, and even down around $160.00. That's a fantastic price for this knife, and is essentially brand new. I'm keeping an eye on these and will probably grab one at some point.

For Kershaws and Zero Tolerance, check out Kershawguy.com. Father and son internet business with good prices on those brands.

Quality knives are an addiction!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    MGM likes this.